Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Wiriing for a ceiling fan with a remote

I am replacing a ceiling fan that is controlled by a wall switch.  My new fan has a remote control and the instructions say to connect the remote receiver white and black wires to the white and the black wires from the ceiling electrical box.  My problem is that I have a white, a black and a red wire coming out of the ceiling electrical box.  What do i do with the red wire?

Thanks!!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-10-07T19:34:30+0000  by taylor4boyz taylor4boyz

Taylor,

First thing you should do is determine if the black wire is your constant hot (always powered) or if it’s controlled by the wall switch. Safe way to check that would be by using one of these non-contact voltage testers.

non contact voltage tester.jpg

Typically in a non-remote installation red wire gets connected to the ceiling fan light(s) and black (constant) gets connected to the ceiling fan. This is a most common installation that allows for the light to be controlled by the wall switch and fan with the pull with located on the fan.

Assuming black is your constant hot and red your switchable hot (controlled by the switch).

You have two options;

1. Kill the red wire. Disconnect it from the wall switch, wire nut it, connect the receiver to the black wire and use remote only to control the unit.

2. Cap off the constant hot (black) and connect the receiver to the red wire instead .This would permit use of  receiver only with the wall switch in the ON position.

Hope this helps,

George

Posted 2012-10-08T16:03:50+0000  by George_HD_CHI

I tested the wires coming out of the ceiling electrical box and the black was the hot 120v with the wall switch on and the white was neutral, and the red only showed low power.  I ended up capping off the red wire in the ceiling and then connecting the black and white receiver wires to the black and white wires coming out of the ceiling box.  I can control the light and the fan with the remote with the wall switch in the on position.  This seems to work fine.  Does this sound ok?

Posted 2012-10-08T20:28:58+0000  by taylor4boyz

Hey Taylor ,

Remote wiring sounds fine ...the only thing I’m confused about is the red wire that's reading low power.

What does it read? What kind of tester are you using? Is that red wire in the switch box with the black wire or is it coming from a different junction box?

George

Posted 2012-10-09T13:29:13+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+