Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Wiring a hampton bay bathroom exhust fan and light combination.

I have installed several fans, none like this one.    Hampton bay-  Item # 249-872  , Model # VFB25ACLED1-5

I want to turn on the fan and light at the same time using one  switch.   I have 12-2 wire to the fan box. one black , one white and ground.   The fan box has seven (7) wires,  Black- ( L) , White- (N), Gr.- Ground,  Blue- Light,  Brown-Fan,

Red- n light,  and yellow- common.

The installation instructions are totally inadquate.  I had a electrian look at the wiring diagram, he said it was confusing.

I have tried several combinations, light works, but the fan does not,  one of the many combinations the fan worked for about 45 sec. then stopped.   breaker was not tripped.

How can this fan be wired to turn both fan and light on at the same time?  What is the yellow common wire for?

Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-26T01:31:39+0000  by ezziegirl ezziegirl

Hello there,

Let's try to simplify this...

There are two different wiring methods that can be used to wire this bathroom fan.

Option #1 is to use the low voltage wiring, which is what they have diagramed in the instructions manual.

Let me explain this;

With low voltage option you would have your black (hot), white (neutral) green (ground) connect to the FANS   black, white and green wires.

Black, white and green wires in the fan housing (box) are the wires feeding the transformer and the ac/dc converter  inside the fan housing that is designed to step down incoming “regular” voltage down to the low DC voltage (24v).

The yellow wire is the wire coming OUT of the transformer that is carrying that same low voltage.

This yellow (common) wire is from this point your new feed for the components inside the fan.

The component wires are the BLUE-light, BROWN-fan and RED–N.light wires.

To be able to turn “on / “off” all of the components independently you would have to wire your fan with a three single pole switch having the yellow wire on the incoming (line) side of the switch and the components wiring (blue ,brown, and red)on the LOAD side of the switch.

This option would require changing the existing 12-2 wiring.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Option #2 is to use the existing 12-2 wiring and the existing single pole switch and have all of the components (fan &lights) turn ON at the same time.

With option#2 black, white and green would get connected to the black, white and green inside the fan box.

The yellow low voltage wire would get connected directly to the component wires (blue,brown and red).

Hope this answers your question and please feel free to post back with any additional question you may have.

George

Posted 2013-02-26T18:29:52+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Ref:  several fans, none like this one. Hampton bay- Item # 249-872 , Model # VFB25ACLED1-5

Good - understandable reply George...  THANKS!   I recommend you post this valube information to the "Reviews" associated with this unit on the HD item page.  I for one would have researched this further before buying "IF" I would have had a better understanding of the required electrical hook-ups.

That said, I've already bought this unit with full intent of controlling each feature (Fan, Light, & Night Light)  indenpendently, like you stated. HOWEVER, as this is for a new instalation, I planned to put a timer switch on the fan, a dimmer switch on the LED, and a light sensitive (on/off) control between the switch and night light. It sounds like I'll be taking this unit back to HD unless I can figure out how to incorporate these switchable conditions.

Any recommendation / indivdual switch (timer/dimmer/light sensitive) suggestions???

Thanks for your reply/comments in advance.  I'm sure your further inputs will be usefull to many...

As stated by the OP, "none like this one." !!!!

I believe Hampton Bay (and HD)  should have done a better job of informing the buyer of the new "features"

of this unit.

jerry

Posted 2013-02-28T13:44:30+0000  by wilobe

Hi Jerry,

George_HD_CHI is out of the office today - back on Monday and Tuesday.  However, another electrical expert Chris_HD_CHI will be in tomorrow (Friday) and will get back to you.  We want to answer your questions...sorry for the delay.

Thanks!

Shelley

Lead Moderator, How-To Community

Posted 2013-02-28T16:13:11+0000  by Shelley_HD_CHI

wilobe wrote:

...That said, I've already bought this unit with full intent of controlling each feature (Fan, Light, & Night Light)  indenpendently, like you stated. HOWEVER, as this is for a new instalation, I planned to put a timer switch on the fan, a dimmer switch on the LED, and a light sensitive (on/off) control between the switch and night light. It sounds like I'll be taking this unit back to HD unless I can figure out how to incorporate these switchable conditions...

Any recommendation / indivdual switch (timer/dimmer/light sensitive) suggestions???

Hello wilobe.  Welcome to the Community!

This fan and light combination offers low noise, efficient operation in a relatively small size footprint.

The conversion from AC power to DC which then powers lights and the fan does make the options you want to add more complex though.

I will give you a link to the on-line manual here:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/8d/8dea211d-dc48-4f56-b168-1dea83f97bb3.pdf 

One of the notes in this manual is about not using any solid state controllers.

If for example you wanted to use a timer, a simple mechanical spring loaded count-down timer would work for the fan, but the more desirable digital timers should not be used.

Again, for the lights, dimmers would be solid state and not work with this system.

Because of what you want to do in controlling this unit I recommend that you look at more conventionally designed exhaust fans so that the common 120 volt timers and dimmers could easily be used.

Is this what you are looking for?

Chris.

Posted 2013-03-01T19:27:37+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Thanks Chris!   Execllant Reply.......

We (the wife and I)had discussed a mechanical spring loaded count-down timer for the fan connection - not our favorate, but....     As stated we already bought the unit - and have the USE AND CARE GUIDE hardcopy.   I'm embarrsed to admit I missed the note about solid-state control devices. Thanks for being there with the answers....

jerry

Posted 2013-03-02T04:05:12+0000  by wilobe

I just purchased 2 of these fans as replacements.  I installed the first one using low voltage sprinkler wire and a Cooper 3-function rocker switch.  Nothing works.  I've verified I have line voltage to the unit, the low voltage wiring is intact, the switch is functioning.  One thing about this unit is the box was opened, but it didn't look like it had been installed.  How do I troubleshoot this thing?  I've tried measuring the common lead for 24v, but what is the other side of the circuit?

Posted 2013-03-03T16:34:12+0000  by Barefootn

Hello Barefootn.  Welcome to the Community!

Without a schematic I can't tell you what the 24 volt DC side is referenced to.  In most, but not all cases you should be able to use the chassis as the eventual ground for the DC circuit,  When you measure the voltage though even with a working unit the potential DC difference may not be 24V at the chassis though.  There should be some voltage potential between the Yellow DC power out and the chassis ground however, and this could be one way to find out if the power supply is working or not.

In any case I think this is a moot point.  If you know that there is AC line voltage into the unit and it has been properly wired then the simple fact is that this unit does not work.  Even if you mixed up the low voltage wiring at least one of the 3 operations would run when switched on.  Yes, given that none of the 3 DC circuits operate it sounds like the power supply inverter is defective since the odds of both lights and a fan motor being bad in the same unit are astronomical.  Rather than troubleshoot I would just exchange it for one that has not been opened.

Chris.

Posted 2013-03-05T18:23:30+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
I have 12- 3 wiring for the same fan configuration. I originally thought I could connect the black to black, and then the blue (light) to one switch and then the yellow wire to the red wire, along with the Brown (fan) wire. I will not be using the red (night light). However this did not work. Only the component connected to the yellow wire works. How can I wire the existing 12-3 to the unit to control the fan and light independently?
Posted 2013-04-29T02:00:06+0000  by 911_in_SC
Anyone? This was mentioned in the first response, about wiring so that the components functioned independently. However, it wasn't explained how to wire it. I would like to control the fan with one switch and the light with the other. I am at a loss. I've tried wiring the black wire to the unit and then to the light, and that didn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again, I have a 12-3 (red, black, white green) going to the unit from the switches.

Thanks,
Mike
Posted 2013-04-29T13:45:17+0000  by 911_in_SC
I have the same situation except one 12-3 cable coming up from two switches in the bathroom. One switch for the fan and one for the light. Is there a way for me to use the existing wiring and both switches with this unit?
Posted 2013-05-11T13:34:25+0000  by mmmmpm
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+