Sign In to join the community | Help

Wiring a swim-spa

For a swim-spa do I need a GFCI or an AFCI at the power panel. The wire will be in a PVC conduit outdoors, underground. I know that I need a spa-GFCI 5ft from the spa. I am looking for the code requirement in California.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-03-30T13:30:14+0000  by Laszlo Laszlo
Hello Laszio.  Welcome to the Community!

The short answer is that we don't know.
Code requirements start with the state level, and are then modified by the local municipality that you live in.
Only your local electrical inspector can tell you whether an AFCI breaker is required for your spa installation.
You are right that outlets near your spa will have to be GFCI protected, as that has been standard practice nationwide for quite a while now.  A quick phone call to your local building department will provide the answer you need.


Posted 2015-03-31T19:06:10+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Because of the obvious danger associated with electricity and water I would VERY STRONGLY recommend you hire a licensed electrician with experience wiring pools and spas.  There are a lot of electrical projects that an experienced DIYer can tackle but this isn't one of them.
Posted 2015-04-01T09:52:36+0000  by Adam444
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question