Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Wood Bar-Height Stools

Hi, looking for simple and easy ideas/tips to build my own "wood bar-height stools, no backs.   Don't have too many tools, so the easier, the better.

Thanks.  Juji

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-05-02T13:55:15+0000  by Jujster Jujster

Hello Jujster,

Welcome to the community.

What a fun project that your taking on.

The good news is that you only need a couple of tools to make a simple bar stool.

Tools needed: saw, drill/drill bits, clamps, and a measuring tape.

Materials needed:     4 – 2” x 2” x 13”   bottom cross bars

4 – 1” x 3” x 13”   top apron

4 – 2” x 2” x 29”   legs

1 – 16” x 16” x 1”   seat

1” x 1” x 3’ fastening blocks for seat (actual not nominal size)

32 – ¼” x 1 ½” wood dowels (for apron and cross bars)

Wood glue

1 box of 1 5/8” screws  

8 – 2 5/8” (70mm) furniture screws  

This will make a bar stool that will measure 16” x 16” and 30” tall.

The standard height of a bar stool is between 29”-31” this is assuming that the bottom of the bar is between 41”- 43” high. The normal rule of thumb is to always have 12” between the top of the stool and the bottom of the table/bar.

I’ve included dowels and screws to assemble this stool due to it can be a safety hazard if it starts to come apart. It’s a little more work but with the use of dowels, screws and glue you won’t have to worry about it coming apart.

The fastening blocks are used to attach the seat to the top of the apron in 2 spots on all 4 sides. Do not use glue on these block so that it will allow the wood to expand and contract when the temperature changes. Cut the blocks to size and pre-drill 2 holes in two directions off setting one another.

The furniture screws are going to hold the bottom cross bars in place. Pre-drill and then screw them in from the outside of each leg.

Now it’s time to sand it and apply a finish. If you have any questions on the finishing part just ask and one of our paint experts here on the community would be glad to help.

I’ve drawn up a diagram (not a very good one):smileyfrustrated: of how I would assemble it. This should helps you understand where all of the parts are being used.  

Bar Stool.jpg

I hope this has helped you on how to build a simple bar stool.

If you have any other questions please ask. I would love to help.

Posted 2012-05-02T20:43:16+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Bar Stool.jpg

With leg removed to show detail:

Bar Stool-a.jpg

Posted 2012-05-03T04:18:49+0000  by Paul

Thanks Paul.

At first I tried to do the drawing in SketchUp but then I got frustrated and did it in paint.:smileyfrustrated:

I really wish I could find a class to learn how to use SketchUp. I love everything about it.

I keep saying that I'm going to play with it in my spare time but that never happens. Well the spare time part never happens. Some day I WILL learn how to use it.

Thank again for the assistance Paul. It's exactly the way I would build it.   

Posted 2012-05-04T14:35:06+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Over in the Woodworking section, I posted links to a set of tutorials you'll find helpful in learning Sketchup...

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Woodworking-Hobbyists/Read-this-if-you-are-at-all-interested-in-using-Sketchup/td-p/48449

Posted 2012-05-05T16:06:59+0000  by Paul

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+