Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Wood Screen Door: How to remove the screen to stain, and how to put it back in again? Help!

I purchased a Screen Tight wooden screen door.  Their instructions were to stain or paint the unfinished wood before installing the door. The literature says to remove the screen before painting/staining, however.  It says this is "easy"... but HOW do I remove it, and how do I put it back in again? The screen is held in by a little rubber bead.  Please advise.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-10T00:37:39+0000  by CeeTee CeeTee

Hello CeeTee!

The rubber bead you mention is called Spline.

Here is a picture of a spool of Spline and a Splining Tool used to remove and replace Spline into the channel on your door.

Spline for Screen.jpg   Splining Tool.jpg

If you look carefully, you will notice that the Spline has at least one point where the cut ends meet one another inside the channel.

The knife-like point of the Splining Tool is used to pull one end free and the Spline is simply pulled out of the channel to release the screen.

Stain or paint your door with the screen out.

Position a new piece of screen over the opening and use the wheel end of the Splining Tool to roll the Spline back into the channel.

This secures the new screen, but be certain to keep the screen tight as you go.

Once secure all the way around, cut the excess screen and Spline to finish the repair.

Re-install the door.

NOTE:

This repair is much like many crafts ... attention to detail is the most important part of the repair.

Posted 2013-10-10T16:26:16+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+