Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Wood finish mistake

My 77 year old neighbor asked me to see if there is a fix for her mistake.  She  has a beautifully shaped old bowl from Hawaii that she sanded and was refinishing.  Her intention was to use tung oil, but for some reason her elderly brain told her linseed oil and turpentine.  Now she has a dull, dark blotchey finish (I don't think she allowed it to dry long enough between coats.)  Is there any way to remove the linseed oil.  She wants to cover it over with polyurethane to get the shiny finish she was hoping for.  I think that would make it worse...help please.

Thanks so much,

Katie

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-24T22:02:48+0000  by KatieO KatieO

Hi Katie,

The method I use is simple, but does require a bit of elbow grease.  Take a washcloth, and clean the bowl thouroughly, then allow to air dry completely.  Get some rags and turpentine.  Take the rag and saturate with the turpentine.  Then, start rubbing the bowl in small circles.  You should see the turpentine dissolve.  Once you see this, start on a new area.  Once you have done one side of the bowl (interior or exterior), allow to sit for 20-30 minutes.  Once both sides are done, wash with soapy water, then scrub away the remaining linseed oil and turpentine with a rag.  Wash again with soapy water, rinse well, then allow to dry.

Hope this helps!

Wayne

Posted 2012-07-24T22:57:09+0000  by WayneFeller

Thanks, we'll give it a try.

Posted 2012-07-25T17:14:12+0000  by KatieO

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+