Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Wood window in shower

We just bought a 1922 house and are in the process of doing some minor repairs to it.  We have a very large wood framed window in our shower.  We noticed some of the paint was chipping off so I bought some heavy duty out door paint to touch up the wood.  Once I got going on the window I ended up removing all of the old cauking around the window as well.  At the bottom of the frame they placed some sort of plastic over the middle of the frame to protect it.  The ends of the bottom piece are not covered and were just painted over.

We realize this wood framed window is a big problem and we plan to replace it but that is not in the budget at this time.  Right now we want to recaulk and repaint the window and then replace it in a few months.

My question is should I just recaulk and paint the ends of the bottom frame or should I try and find a plastic piece to cover the ends of the frame(similar to what's in the middle)

Jan2011 15567.jpg

Jan2011 9989.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-08T02:37:27+0000  by Peekay Peekay

Good morning Peekay!

My name is Christine, and I’m a paint associate at The Home Depot in Atlanta. I would like to personally thank you for your involvement in our online community.  I hope as little projects (and big ones too!) come up you continue to ask us for advice and input.

Since you are planning on redoing this window in the near future I would recommend painting the exposed wood with white, oil based paint. This is an easy, fix that will look good, and will last until you are able to redo the area. After you apply the first coat, wait 24 hours and then you can do a second coat. Then, wait another 24 hours before you use the shower. Unfortunately this is not a quick process.

Before you paint, make sure you use a paintable silicone caulk.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Christine       

Posted 2011-01-08T14:04:38+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

I went and bought some caulking and paint.  Once I started removing the old caulking from the problem area of the window I figured I'd just remove all of the old caulking around the window and start completely from scratch.  When I was applying the caulking I thought it might be a good idea to seal the bottom of the window shut with caulk just as an added protection.  The window is still able to be opened from the top.  Is this ok, is it overkill???

I put on 2 coats of paint and I am just about to do some minor touch up to a few areas just to be safe and I should be able to use the shower tomorrow.

Posted 2011-01-12T19:06:37+0000  by Peekay

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+