Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Woodpecker damage on my house

Hi to the forum.

I have a ranch style house with cedar clapboard siding and the vertical corners are pine trim. On one end of my house, on the vertical pine corner trim board, I have severe woodpecker damage. I am talking about a series of thru holes exposing the plywood sheathing. Also, a bunch of partial holes have been started by a small woodpecker. I have seen this bird working on my corner trim, and I have attempted  to shoot him, but so far no luck.

My two questions are, why is he doing this? And, after I replace the corner trim boards, what can I do to prevent this from re-occuring? I am thinking on some type of covering to go over the trim, maybe a strip of vinyl siding installed vertically, or some kind of flashing. I don't know what to do.

Any advice would be well taken.

I do regularly spray for carpenter ants. I am unaware of any other intruders. I have no other areas where this problem exists. I do live on a back road in a wooded area.

Why would this bird choose my house instead of the ten million trees in my surrounding woods?

Thanks.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-04-02T10:53:04+0000  by ridgeman06 ridgeman06

Hi Ridgeman – we are very happy you joined the community.                                                                                                          

First off, the main reason why the Woodpecker has chosen your house is because of bugs living somewhere within the wood.  Woodpeckers have a keen ear for little insects moving around inside wood and will only “peck” when they’re certain to find what they are hearing.   I am not quite certain about the possibility of that once a hole is there…it may signal the potential of food to other unsuspecting Woodpeckers.  Either way you will need to replace the wood.

Once you have removed the trim board – inspect the area underneath to see if there is any evidence of rotted wood (bugs love to take up residence in that type of environment).  If you do see dark, wet, rotting wood – try and figure out how the moisture is getting in there and correct it before adding the new piece of wood trim. Spray the area with insecticide and possibly caulk any large openings to the inside of the substrate.

Finally, as long as you have corrected every possibility you will not have another problem with the Woodpecker (maybe he will find a tree somewhere).

On a lighter note: I was able to find one item that may prevent any more Woodpeckers from even thinking about ever landing on your house again.  It’s called a Bird B Gone kit and it somehow deters the Woodpecker from coming near the location.

Woodpecker.jpg

Hope this helps.

paiintpro.JPG

Posted 2012-04-02T13:03:26+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL
also, many woodpeckers are protected in many states so don't advertise shooting at them.
Posted 2012-04-02T21:16:24+0000  by Stukas

If you think I care about some stupid woodpecker over my house, you're crazy. If I get the chance, I'll blow him to the moon.

Thanks for nothing for your useless reply to my legitimate first time inquiry.

Obviously, these boards attract idiots just like any other.

Posted 2012-04-02T21:56:54+0000  by ridgeman06

This is an old thread but my experience may help someone with the same issue.  I was having a serious problem with woodpeckers boring into my house also.  They were boring lines of holes in my wood siding, some as big as one inch which I was filling weekly.   I did a little research and discovered that woodies are solitary creatures so I figured why not give them some company?  I put 2 bird feeders on shepherd hooks at front and back of house, filling them daily.  The woodies disappeared...until one week I didn't put seed in feeders, and they returned!  Something to consider.

Posted 2012-10-04T13:22:39+0000  by rbseaking1

Problem is in pine wood.

Pine siding/ trim tends to rot easily ...this attracts insects…and so on...

You'll find a lot of new homes trimmed with primed pine 1xs  ...reason is the cost ...cedar 1xs cost almost as twice as much as the pine does...

If you can afford it, change the boards to cedar ...which naturally resists rot, decay and insects...

Or wrap it up in the aluminum coil.

Another option is to use PVC boards...pvc is virtually maintenance free.

George

Posted 2012-10-09T16:34:30+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+