Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Would like to darken a paint metal cabinet, not repaint it.

We bought a miniature shipping container someone converted into a cabinet. It's a worn yellow with black lettering. I would really like to darken the container so it matches the rest of the decor better. Anyone have an idea? Stain, paint and wipe, some type of wax or oil?

Here is a link to the picture. http://i39.tinypic.com/9iraqo.jpg
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-22T01:54:34+0000  by liqwde liqwde

Hello liqwde!

Thanks for the photo!

Most often, industrial use materials will be coated with solvent-based paints or coatings because they tend to be very durable.

In this case, my first recommendation would be to thoroughly clean the surface with TSP and warm water.

Allow the surface to dry and use an oil-based primer followed by an oil-based paint.

Rust-Oleum makes several ready-mix colors or you might choose a tintable oil-based product.

Prime and allow to dry about two-hours, then apply two-coats of paint ... waiting about six-hours between coats.

Since you already have a photo, use the image to accurately recreate the markings on the container; split arrow, numbers, etc.

When done, please come back a post a photo of the finished piece so we can see how it fits into your decor.

Posted 2013-10-22T14:41:58+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Yeah, might have to do that eventually. But was hoping I could darken without repainting the whole thing.
Posted 2013-10-22T15:40:55+0000  by liqwde

OK liqwde!

Try faux glaze mixed with your preferred paint color.

Glaze will add color and visually "age" the container without doing anything more than cleaning the surface.

Most often, four-parts glaze is blended with one-part paint to create a semi-transparent coating.

You might experiment with less glaze to create a more solid appearance.

NOTE:

Glaze is a very sticky media that adheres well to most surfaces.

You may have to re-create the markings after glazing.

Clearly, you have a unique application and other community members may have ideas as well.

Posted 2013-10-22T15:47:58+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Ligwde,

If you can track down an oil based glazing liquid, you will have an easier time of glazing. Oil glazing liquid has a much longer wet time than does latex based glaze. This makes the glazing process much easier. Also, being oil, it adheres better to an oil based based finish. A glaze would then normally be clear coated with protective varnish. In this case, the slight amber tone of most oil varnishes would actually  give an additinal antique look.

Posted 2013-10-23T14:10:52+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+