Sign In to join the community | Help
Appliances

Wringer washer cord change

Can I use this item - 6 ft. 16/3 SPT-3 Appliance Cord - Gray (sold at HD) to replace existing cord on wringer washer? The old plug was 2 prong with the 3 wires (black/white/green) that the cord I want to buy has. I think it should be able to but you know how that goes ;) Thanks!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-02-03T23:52:03+0000  by drgnldyblu drgnldyblu

Wringer washer cord change

Can I use this item - 6 ft. 16/3 SPT-3 Appliance Cord - Gray (sold at HD) to replace existing cord on wringer washer? The old plug was 2 prong with the 3 wires (black/white/green) that the cord I want to buy has. I think it should be able to but you know how that goes ;) Thanks!
Posted 2016-02-03T23:52:27+0000  by drgnldyblu

Hey drgnidyblu,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

Depending on the amp capacity of your wringer washer can determine if the 16 gauge cord will work.

A 16 gauge extension cord no longer than 75 feet can safely power no more than 13 amps.

If your washer pulls more than this, I'd recommend to go up to lower gauge (bigger wire).

15 amp power is good for a 14 gauge cord, and 20 amps requires a 12 gauge.

Check the power specs on the unit to see how much it is drawing, and then use the appropriate cord. If the amp max isn't greater than 13, then you can use the existing 16 gauge you have.

Since the newer cord is properly grounded, you can do what it considered an equipment ground and bond, or screw the green wire's end onto the metal portion of the washer to ground it .

This protects you from shock, and is the solution for wiring it properly. Just be sure to fasten the other wires to their respective hot and neutral positions. 

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2016-02-04T00:55:41+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+