Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Yellow Bells (Tecoma Sans) bush is great for your garden

Howdy Gardeners,

The Yellow Trumpet Bush, Common yellow elder or Yellow Bells (Tecoma stans var. stans) is a Central and South American tree that grows to 25 ft (7.6 m). It has bright yellow flowers and dense, lushly green foliage that is evergreen in tropical climates, but deciduous in chillier places. It is reliably hardy only down to 28ºF (-2.2ºC), though the roots may survive temperatures into the low twenties.

Here is a photo I took at my friends’ home where I planted one. It’s about 15 feet tall!

Yellow Bells will grow on a wide variety of soils, including sand and limerock. The plants can be cut shorter  for rejuvenation in the early spring or carefully sheared during the growing season to control shape and size and promote new flushes of flowers.

Light: This species needs full sun.

Moisture: Yellow elder likes well drained soil. Potted plants should be given minimal water when not in active growth.

Hardiness: USDA Zones 7 - 11. Freeze tolerance varies dramatically, with some forms able to survive temperatures down to around 10ºF (-12.2º C) and others severely injured by only a few degrees of frost.

These hardy shrubs are almost a tree and need to be trimmed yearly to keep them from growing too large if planted near a home.

Happy Gardening,

Coach Dave

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-05-18T23:14:24+0000  by Dave_HD_OC Dave_HD_OC

Topic
Categories+