Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Yoshino Cherry Tree

I have a Yoshino Cherry Tree which had been flourishing until the recent heat wave of near 100 degree days. Since then, it has appeared to have died. The instructions indicated to plant this tree where it could get full sunlight for at least 6 hours each day. I watered the tree adequately during this heat wave. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened to it?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-08-08T19:29:01+0000  by drstocks drstocks

Hey drstocks.

Your Cherry tree has gone dormant. My mothers Yoshino's also do this. We are use to trees going dormant when the temperatures get cold but this is common for cherry trees. It is like a survival tactic that the trees use in times of extreme heat and/or drought. Don't go cutting them down yet. They will flush out in the spring as if nothing happened. This is a very common occurrence.

We live in Atlanta where the heat is ridiculous and this happens almost every year.
Posted 2015-08-09T22:23:08+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

CLICK HERE FOR YOSHINO CHERRY

Posted 2015-08-13T18:45:19+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL
Thank you Ingar, I hope you're right. We love this tree. Looking forward to spring to see if it survives. Will keep you posted.
Posted 2015-08-13T22:59:27+0000  by drstocks
Hey drstocks.

Here are some pictures of one of my customers cherry trees. I have cut her lawn for several years now and I deal with the leaves of her cherry trees going into summer dormancy, year after year. The trees bloom beautifully every following spring. I took these pictures 4 days ago.

Posted 2015-08-16T15:30:26+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL
I have watched Yoshino Cherry trees drop their leaves every August here, in Atlanta for quite a few years. I have yet to see one die from this. Their silvery bark is stunning when several of the trees are grouped together with no foliage in September.

These trees are some of the earliest to bloom in the spring, so their clocks run a little earlier than other trees. Dogwood trees around here shut down early, as well.

If you prune these trees while they are dormant, you will be removing their buds for next spring's blooms. To preserve the blooms, prune Yoshino Cherry trees just after they have finished blooming.

-Travis

Posted 2015-08-18T12:37:31+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+