Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

adding a doorbell chime in basement

I currently have a 10v/5va transformer which operates an old 10v chime. I want to add a chime in the basement. All of the chimes I find now are 16v. If I change my transformer to a 16v/30va transformer will I still be able to use my existing 10v chime? Or will I need to replace that chime with a 16v? In other words, is it ok to operate a 10v chime with a 16v transformer? If not do they currently make 10v chimes? I really don't want to replace the existing chime, but I do need to add an additional new chime to the basement.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-04-01T11:42:37+0000  by daug200 daug200

Hey daug200, welcome to the Home Depot Community!

While transformers with multiple taps (8-10v, 16v, 24v) are made for doorbells, if you want both chimes to be on the same switch, this will not help you.  Whether or not the 10v chime will work on 16v depends on the type of chime it is.

Most doorbell transformers have only one tap, like these:

Transformer.jpgTransformer2.jpg

An old, simple "ding-dong" bell that uses a mechanical solenoid will likely work just fine at the increased voltage.  The lifespan may be lower, and it should ring louder.  An electronic chime that uses a circuit board is a different matter.  These may not handle the extra voltage.  The only way to know is to try.  There is no danger from the output voltage, only the input side which connects to house voltage.

I hope this helps,

Newf

Posted 2011-04-01T14:29:02+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+