Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

best primer to put over oil paint so that the latex paint will not peel and become rubbery

have an issue in kitchen with latex peeling on a section of wall. im very certain that the latex was not sticking because of oil paint beneath it. i prefer not to sand because of the dust it will create. is there a primer/sealer that i can put on first over the oil based paint and then apply the latex paint?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-15T17:39:32+0000  by Dasgud Dasgud

Hey there Dasgud,

Thanks for joining our community!~

You would be assuming correctly, latex based paints have a difficult time grabbing on directly to oil-based paint finishes directly. In order to make the transition, you would need to neutralize it with the use of an oil-based primer directly over your oil-based paint, and then paint over with the latex-based paint of your choice. 

So to put it simply--  Clean the wall >>> oil-based primer >>> latex-based top coat

This is the traditional way of doing it and how it's been done for a number of years, however it isn't the only way to go about it. Using Behr Ultra Paint & Primer-in-one may help eliminate a step for you.

With it's great bonding strength, this paint is able to go directly over low-sheen oil-based finishes and adhere very well in fact. To attest to this fact, one of our resident paint guru's ordjen has a display that he shows off to customers in which the Behr Ultra is applied directly over a varnish finish. You can view it in the topic: latex over oil

However if your wall is of a higher sheen, like perhaps semi-gloss let's say, then I would recommend priming it separately.

Priming the walls doesn't hurt at all and in fact it's good measure to do so, but I wouldn't want you doing any unnecessary work if you don't have to = )

Either way you go, just ensure that your walls are clean and free of any dirt or grime that may be on them, and that your oil-based finish is still in good condition before painting over it.

Posted 2013-02-15T20:41:05+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Dasgud,

Unfortunately, when going over a poorly bonded latex paint which is sitting on top of an oil paint,  the bond of the new paint or primer is  only as good as the adhesion of that latex paint to the original oil paint.

The gumminess to which you refer is a general characteristic of latex/ acrylic paints. It has nothing to do with the fact that it is going over oil.

Quite frankly, whenever I ran across oil paint in good condition, I usually stayed with oil paint rather than convert to an acrylic paint.  It was actually easier than converting in that it was not neccessary to prime for adhesion and avoided that gumminess. Oil paints were often found in high humidity areas such as kitchens and baths. They were inherently better suited  to those environs. High humidity actually agravates the gumminess of acrylic paints.

Posted 2013-02-16T04:47:09+0000  by ordjen

I had a paint representative once tell me that gas burning cook stoves will actually coat the walls with a thin film. The byproduct of the combustion can temporarily bind to cooking oils and vapor - to carry them throughout the room.  I recommend treating the surfaces with TSP and wiping down with clean water prior to any painting or priming.

At this point (already painted) there may only be one way to prevent future paint failure.  I would prime the walls with an oil-based primer.  This will provide a solid surface for new paint and should reduce the percentage of future paint failure.

Thanks for stopping by the community,

Posted 2013-02-17T17:31:30+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

PaintPro,

I certainly noticed over the years that the yellowing of oil paint was more severe in kitchens that had gas ranges.Going back less than a year later, the alkyd oil would have yellowed noticeably.

You also did  not want to have a gas pilot burning while painting with oil. The open flame would interact with the oil paint to produce an even more objectionable smell. I always advised the homeowner it was a McDonald's night.They did not want to be using those gas burners while paint fumes were still in the house.

Posted 2013-02-18T05:07:35+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+