Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

best way of removing weeds and restoring lawn

Hi,

My backyard has alot of weeds and I'm trying to figure out the best course of action to eliminate weeds and regrown grass. I live in Walnut Creek, CA. I've been thinking of rototilling my lawn to then spray some sort of weed killer, add some top soil then put down seed. How should I start on this project?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-04-20T05:31:04+0000  by sholper85 sholper85

Howdy sholper85,

Your ideas have all the essentials of getting rid of old lawn and installing a new one. So let's talk about a plan of action to get you on the road to a new healthy lawn.

1. Kill and remove all weeds and poor-looking turf by applying Roundup. It's available as a concentrate, ready-to-use.  keeps problem weeds and unwanted grass away. Simply apply and wait a few days to ensure that weeds are completely dead before moving onto next step.

2. Prepare the soil by tilling and adding organic matter like that found in Topper/Seeding soil. It's proven to promote more efficient water use, helping protect new seedlings from the stress of hot, dry conditions.

Feed the seed and accelerate growth by applying starter fertilizer. The starter fertilizer gives developing grass much-needed nutrients without burning the seed/seedlings. 

Water frequently for the first month while seedlings are young and not yet fully developed or rooted. After 1 month, begin to cut back watering intervals to twice a week, applying about 1/2 inch at each watering.

Some tips to help you keep you
r lawn happy and healthy are:

Create a lawn care program with an easy calculator like this.

Clean the underside of your lawnmower with a towel immediately after mowing to keep from transferring problems from one lawn to another.

Never water your lawn at night. This can create the conditions for fungus to invade your lawn.

happy growing,
Coach Dave
Posted 2017-04-20T18:37:01+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+