Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

big streaks/dark spots in plum paint

I have already painted 2 coats with my plum wall color and there are big dark streaks all over the wall where it looks painted darker in spots! I don't know how tp fix this without starting over. I am a begginer at painting! Help!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-12-19T19:49:44+0000  by kaylaC kaylaC

for dark colours and red you should expect to apply atleast 3 coats if not 4.

always keep a wet edge and work in a w fashion with your roller.

Posted 2011-12-21T05:50:48+0000  by renpeg

Hello KaylaC,

Welcome to the community. Have no fear ThePaintAvenger is here. I have a couple questions for you. Did you prep the wall by cleaning it? Did you use a tinted primer/gray primer? How long did you wait in between coats???? Here’s a suggestion if you did not use a tinted primer or gray gripper primer here’s what they look like

These primers Kilz or Zinsser (oil base or water based) above can be tinted to a purple it will come out a little lighter than the paint don’t be alarmed your just using it as a base coat.

Here’s the Gripper primer

Glidden Gripper 1-Gal. Primer and Sealer

This Glidden Gripper 1-Gal. Primer and Sealer adheres to most surfaces to provide a gray background for painting with deep, saturated colors and can be tinted for use with dark colors. It is designed to resist UV exposure and mildew which allows it to be used for both indoor and outdoor applications.

If you use any of these primers before you paint, you should not have any issues.

I hope this information was helpful. I would like know how you made out.

ThePaintAvenger

Posted 2011-12-22T20:44:27+0000  by Soheil_HD_BOS

When choosing Behr paints that have the cross/dagger symbol directly behind the color name, you can plan on a minimun of 3 total coats, regardless of if a primer is used or not. This symbol does encourage the customer to use a primer.

Behr Paint recommends addtional dry time to the normal 4 hours when using these dark colors, Indeed, they recommend one hour of dry time for every ounce of colorant in it. These colors will commonly have 13 ounces of colorant, i.e. 13 hours of dry time.

The practice of cutting in all the edges first should be highly discouraged at all times, but especially when using these dark colors. Extensive cutting in results in the cut in area being either dry or partially set when the rolling is subsequently done. This causes double coating around the edge and will look more opague than the rolled areas.

Painting over partially set paint also causes texture to be raised that will not go away. This looks unsightly, especially when higher sheen paints are used. Good paint technique requires that you maintain a "wet edge". This requires that cutting in and rolling should be done at the same time as you work your way down the wall.

Further reasons for not cutting in  the whole room first is that the practice can actually cause color variation in the paint, as the edges are now better sealed than the general wall area. Colorants discipate at different rates over dry and sealed walls. This can actually change the color! A higher sheen will also result, especially when trying to get by with only one coat over a too porous coat of paint. I don't know how many times I have gone into peoples home and seen a shiney margin along the baseboards and around the door frames. This is cause by using the cutting in first technique. It is also caused by the substrate being to dry, i.e. it should have been primed first or second coated.

Posted 2012-01-09T06:10:05+0000  by ordjen
I recently had the same problem with a black wall using a very good quality water base paint.

I found that thinning the paint down and applying with a damp roller helped. Dip the roller in water and remove excess water before you start applying paint, you may need to dampen roller more than once depending on the size of area painting, it may drip a lot so protect surrounding areas well. Extra coats may be needed. Try not to go over painted surface after paint starts to dry that causes the fresh paint  to lift the setting paint and leave the marks.Good luck hope this helps

Posted 2014-01-06T19:27:48+0000  by Andreajohnston

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+