Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Indoor Decor

bookcases as room divider

I purchased two 84" h x 36" w bookcases to be used as a room divider.  I'm looking for advice on how to best secure them.  The first bookcase has one side of it against a wall so I know I can secure that to the wall and I can attach the second case to the first but I'm sure that's not enough.  
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-12-27T21:32:46+0000  by judithcatherine judithcatherine

Hello judithcatherine,

Sounds like a great idea. Stylish and functional, I dig it. Securing the first bookcase to the wall is exactly the way to go. Use a stud finder to locate a stud within the wall and use cabinet screws to secure the bookcase. I recommend these.

If you have base moulding in the room cutting it away from the intended bookcase location will give you a very clean look. If cutting away the base moulding isn't an option use a 1"x board as a filler between the bookcase and wall.

The second cabinet can be secured to the first with 1" screws. This is working under the assumption that the bookcase sides are 3/4" thick. Alternate the screws so that every other screw is driven in from the opposite bookcase.

Since the top of the bookcase should be will above anyone's eye level I would also suggest using a board across the top of the bookcases to help bind them together. A 1" x 4" x 5' board should be more than adequate. Screw it into place with the 1" screws as well.

I don't know if you have plans for this, but consider doing something cool for the back of the bookcases like wallpaper or paint to make your room divider an accent wall as well. I hope this helps and let us know if we can help further.

Cheers,
Chris
Posted 2015-12-28T15:13:44+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+