Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

brick mold

how do i remove the old brick mold from around the door an put up new

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-17T14:46:28+0000  by alicia0585 alicia0585

Hello alicia0585 and welcome to the community!

To remove the exterior brickmould you first need to break the caulk or paint bead. Using a utility knife, run the knife in the area where I have a red arrows in the picture below, do this for both the left & right sides and the top portion. 

Once you have the bead broken, then you can use a pry bar to pull away the brickmould.  Using a hammer, tap the pry bar into the area with red arrows, start at the bottom and work your way up. Try to remove each piece without breaking it, then you can cut your new pieces to match the old.  

Once you have removed the old brickmould, make sure there are no remaining nails. Cut the new brickmould to size and nail it up. You want to use 16d galvanized finishing nails, they look long, but they need to be because of the thickness of the brickmould and the penetration into the jamb, and more importantly, if you want to attach a storm door, the brickmould would be supporting it. Space out the nails every 8 to 12 inches, and countersink the nail heads slightly below the surface. Once your done, then it's time to paint it. 

Hopefully you are using vinyl brickmould, it is far superior to wood--it's moisture-proof and termite-proof and does not promote mold and mildew, but you can cut it, nail it, and paint it like real wood. 

Let me know if this help, and post pictures of the before & after work. 

measure for storm door EDITED.png

Posted 2013-08-23T16:57:37+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+