Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

broadleaf weeds in FL lawn

Hi, Garden associates. This is Lynn, from the Home Depot Garden Club. We received a question from a reader named John--can you help him out?  Thanks. We'll send him a link to watch for  your reply.

John writes, "I live in Sarasota, FL. For several years I have tried to get rid of the winter broadleaf weed crop in my St. Augustine lawn without much success. The only weed I have gotten rid of (for about 5 or 6 months) is the prolific dollar weed. What can I use to get rid of the many others that pop up? Also, I have been told that it is not possible to get rid of crab grass and the Bermuda weed grass. Is there any hope??"

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-28T19:14:40+0000  by LynnGardenClub LynnGardenClub

Hey John.

That is a bit of a dilemma that you face. St. Augustine is too closely related to Crabgrass to kill one without killing the other. Image does make a weed killer for St. Augustine grass but it will only suppress crabgrass. Image will not kill Bermuda grass either instead; it will only slow it down for a little while.

There are some big differences in the preferences between the two grasses that might give you a leg up on the Bermuda grass. Bermuda prefers to be cut very short and St Augustine likes to be very tall. Bermuda can’t stand shade and St Augustine can tolerate it pretty well.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203070824/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=image&storeId=10051

If you can continue to cut your St Augustine on the highest setting on your mower this will help shade the Bermuda. A healthy St Augustine lawn will also put stress on your Bermuda. If your Bermuda is just in a designated area and can be spot treated with Image for St Augustine and Centipede, I would recommend doing that.

This is a recipe for killing the Bermuda. Stress it out with image while keeping your St. Augustine cut high and watered and healthy will just possibly be too much for the Bermuda grass.

Also, because some weeds are so hard to kill in a St. Augustine lawn, prevention is the best medicine for keeping weeds away. Pre emerging your lawn in the late winter and early fall will help keep such problems at a minimum.

Let me know how it goes and thanks for the question.

Posted 2013-02-28T20:47:56+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+