Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

building a very large storage cabinet

Hello,

I want to build a very large storage closet / cabinet.  Approx. 100 inches wide and 90 inches high.   Am imagining

4 doors, one closet for clothes, others with shelves, sliding drawers, hanging file folder, etc.  Which wood is best to use and can you give me a good idea of how to do it.  This is a first.  I can use basic tools but am no expert.  Thank you.            My email:   cornerbus@gmail.com

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-09T22:42:42+0000  by trulybe trulybe

Hello Trulybe,

Welcome to the community.

There are many ways you can build your closet organizer.

You can purchase ready to assemble units or you can build your own. The great part about building your own is not only the fun of building it but it is the exact size you need.

If you’re going to build your own I would use plywood instead of particle board. It’s stronger and tends to hold up better. The only drawback is that if you leave the edges exposed you may end up with splinters. You can use solid wood or edge tape to finish it off to make sure you don’t get any splinters.

A lot of the ready to build units can be combined to make them work for your area very well. So if you don’t have all of the tools or the time to build them from scratch then I’m sure you can make them work for you.

Here are a couple of links to give you the basics on closet organizers and how to build them.  

Building a closet organizer.

Buying Guild: Closet Organization.

After you read through all of the information let me know if you have any other questions. I will be glad to help you through whatever it is.

Thanks again for joining the how to community.

Posted 2013-01-11T23:09:27+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+