Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

can I use Martha Stewart metallic paint to paint a metal bookshelf!

I have a new metal bookshelf in a red painted finish. I would like to give it a brass or gilded gold finish. I tried to paint it with a spray on paint (Rustoleum) but hated the fumes and couldn't get the spray on technique right. Can I use one of the MS small project paints to achieve the look I want? I think I will have better luck with a paint that I can put on with a brush rather than spraying on. Do I need a primer to cover up the original red finish? If so, what type? Which of the MS paints should I use and how many of the little pots will I need? Thank you! Liz
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-09-12T15:45:28+0000  by LizKVA LizKVA

It's a great day in the Paint Department Liz!

Clean Metal Primer from Rust-Oleum comes in a brush-on quart.

Primer dries in about one-hour and will accept any topcoat ... so Martha Living Specialty Paints will work perfectly over this primer.

You mention a "brass or gilded gold finish." Rust-Oleum's faux kit for small projects may be similar to what you have in mind.

After applying the base coat from the kit, you would allow it to dry completely ... about two-hours. You were then instructed to apply the brass or gold topcoat and create the show-though effect using the scouring side of a kitchen sponge to remove slight amounts before the paint dried (in about 15 to 20 minutes). Light wiping would remove very little allowing only hints of the base coat color to show through. Wiping heavier would remove more of the top coat creating significant show-through.

If this sounds similar to what you have in mind, test your wipe-off timeline on several samples before executing the full project.

Faux finishes can be created using a broad range of tools and techniques.

Click the link to see another example. 

Posted 2012-09-13T13:25:39+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+