Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

can a solid white stain be applied to a railing that is painted white - outside.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-16T22:02:42+0000  by hj hj

hj,

A solid hide acrylic decking stain certainly could be applied over an existing acrylic or latex, low sheen  paint. The advantage would be a lesser build up of the coating. Acrylic stains are also self-priming. Should it be neccessary to bare any wood in preparing the surface, the bare wood can be spot primed with the stain itself before a general apllication of the stain.

Hope this has helped

Posted 2013-07-17T03:45:19+0000  by ordjen

It's a great day in the Paint Department HJ!

You know, Ordjen and I agree on most applications, but I'm going to offer a different point of view on your project.

On the label, Behr Solid Color Stain says, "Two coats are recommended."

They add this recommendation because stains are penetrating sealers designed to absorb into the surface of wood. When you apply stain too thick onto the surface, it has a tendency to be a "brittle" surface and flake or wear off sooner.

This is why my point of view varies ... in your case (already painted railings) I would recommend continuing with paint rather than stain.

Yes, solid stain is self-priming.  But it is not designed to be layered onto the surface of wood.

Stick with paint and your surface coating should be more durable and last longer.

NOTE:

If your existing paint is split or flaking, sand until the imperfections are removed then prime and paint.

Posted 2013-07-18T12:26:16+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I have been an advocate of avoiding unneccessary build up of paint or stain.. Each coat further restricts the ability of the surface to breathe. Granted, acrylics have an ability to breathe that oil products never enjoyed.

The instructions on the stain can to limit to two coats is to avoid needless build up of the finish. Once the wood is sealed and adequately top coated to block moisture and UV penetration, why continue to put more coats on? To do so just restricts the ability of the surface to breathe, which is especially important on decks due to their very construction that cannot totally prevent moisture incursion.

In the case of going over a low sheen  acrylic based paint, a coat of acrylic stain is more like a refresher coat of stain on a deck. If I had a deck that were in generally good shape, but with minor peeling and scratches, I would not hesitate to spot prime those areas and follow with a general top coat.

In my less than humble opinion, too many homes have been damaged by too much paint than to little. A bad paint job is almost worse than no paint at all! Wood that can thoroughly dry out everytime it gets wet will last for decades. Woods that lay moist under a misguided layer of paint will rot sooner.

The goal of any paint or stain job is to try to keep that wood dry, but if it does get moisture intrusion, to enable that wood to dry out by letting that moisture pass through the film. To that end, the thinner the film, the better.

AMEN  :)

Posted 2013-07-18T15:58:22+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+