Sign In to join the community | Help

can i convert a outlet to a 3 prong plug outlet

I have a 30 amp/250 volt 3 prong plug but i only have a regular 2 prong outlet is there a adaptor i can use ?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-23T20:48:21+0000  by summeradams summeradams

Hey summeradams.


 A 2 prong outlet is designed for 110 volt. What you are wanting to plug in is 220v. There are not adapters for these because different outlets are designed with different plugs to keep us from plugging things into the wrong circuits. You will need to run a circuit for it specifically.


Most items on a 220v circuit have their own dedicated circuit like water heaters and air conditioners because they use too many amps to have any remaining space on the circuit.


Different size amp breakers use different sized wire. The breaker is designed to trip in order to protect the wire before it becomes overloaded. A 2 prong, 15 amp breaker would simply trip if you did manage to plug this device in because it can not get it the power it needs. You use a 10 gauge wire with a 30 amp breaker. This will accommodate your device properly.


Thanks for the question. Hit me back if you have any other questions.



Posted 2013-04-25T14:59:06+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question