Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

can i install glass tile over a formica backsplash?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-08T02:48:05+0000  by polaris800 polaris800

Hey polaris800,

Thanks for joining us on the community, welcome!

As long as your formica backsplash is flat, stable, even, clean, dry and free of dust and grease, then you can apply a great product called SimpleMat over it to ensure the glass tiles will be installed securely.

Shown below, SimpleMat works as a double-sided giant piece of adhesive and plastic that works to bond the tile to whatever existing backsplash surface you have. This includes your formica. I have personally used it recently and it works great for backsplashes. Click below to find out more information on this amazing product.

SimpleMat

Using SimpleMat saves you about a full day of taking out the old formica and waiting for tile adhesive to dry. Using SimpleMat avoids both those issues, since both sides of the plastic are extremely sticky and will hold onto to your existing formica.

After installing it, you can use whatever type of glass or other tiles to your liking, it really is that simple! You'll still need to grout and seal the backsplash, but the most difficult part (the setting of the tile) will be already done and out of the way.

Let us know if this has assisted you, and I hope to hear your progress on your project.

Regards,

Joseph

Posted 2013-05-08T12:53:17+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+