Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

can i paint over bathroom tile

I  am looking to paint over the tiles on my bathroom walls. Is there a primer of special paint that I can use?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-06T08:28:48+0000  by bonniemorath bonniemorath

Hello Bonniemorath and welcome to the community. There is a special primer you can use on the tiles as long as it’s not in the shower, if you have tiles in the shower.

The Primer I would recommend is Gripper Primer

Glidden 1-Gal. Aquacrylic White Primer and Sealer

Easily apply the Glidden Gripper 1-Gallon Aquacrylic White Primer and Sealer with a brush, roller or sprayer to your wood, masonry, glass, and previously painted metals. To create a uniform surface, it helps remove water splashes, streaking and other common mishaps while filling imperfections and hairline cracks. This paint can be tinted to shades of gray to enhance colors and can be easily cleaned using soapy water.

• Bonds to walls, wood, masonry, glass and previously painted metals
  • For use under light and soft topcoat colors
  • Fills surface imperfections and hairline cracks for a uniform surface
  • Easy application with sprayer, brush or roller
  • Resists mildew, nail head and tanning stains and checking and cracking when used over bare plywood, Douglas fir and yellow pine
  • All-purpose stain remover helps eliminate streaking and traces of water splashes and other common household mishaps
  • 1 can covers up to 400 sq. ft.
  • Cleans up quickly with soap and water
  • Tint to shades of gray to enhance the richness of vibrant colors

I would then follow with a BEHR Premium Plus 1-Gal. Ultra Pure White Satin Enamel Zero VOC Interior Paint

BEHR PREMIUM PLUS ZERO VOC, Self-Priming Interior Satin Enamel is 100% Acrylic and provides a mildew resistant finish. This versatile, easy-clean finish provides ultimate durability, exceptional hide and a pearl-like appearance.

• Ideal for Family Rooms, Living Rooms, Dining Rooms, Bedrooms, Kids’ Rooms, Hallways, Kitchens, Bathrooms, Doors, Windows, Trim, Cabinets, Shutters and Interior Furniture.
  • Low Odor, Zero VOC
  • Self-Priming
  • Ultimate Durability
  • Exceptional Hide
  • 100% Acrylic
  • Mildew Resistant Finish

I hope this information is helpful.

Posted 2013-05-07T15:50:12+0000  by Soheil_HD_BOS

As good as Gripper is as a general primer, when it comes to adhesion to glass or glazed tile surfaces, it does not compare to BIN pigmented or clear shellac. I have personally tested every primer HD sells on both glazed ceramic tile and formica. BIN adheres better and forms a thinner, more brushstroke free surface. It is also unsurpassed if one must paint over glass or mirrored surfaces.

The spray cans of Zinsser clear shellac can be used to form a very thin bonding coat over tile, lessening the build up of total film thickness. The brushing version will also form a thinner bond coat.  Both acrylic or oil paints will bond to regular shellac.  The spray can version, which is a de-waxed shellac, is compatible under virtually any commonly used oil paint, acrylic, lacquer or urethane.

If shellac has a down side, it is that it is not water soluble. Denatured alcohol or ammonia must be used to clean it up. It is thinned with denatured alcohol. On the bright side, unlike hardened acrylic brushes,  a hardened shellac brush can be resoftened by placing it in alcohol or more shellac.

Posted 2013-05-08T06:03:51+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+