Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

can u pour concrete in the rain using quikcrete mix

i have my form ready all i need to do is mix and pour and really need to finish the job today is it safe to pour when its raining and if so  what precautions should i take?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-18T12:27:32+0000  by tracey tracey

Tracy,

Pouring concrete in rain is always avoided if at all possible, for the obvious reasons.  

Rain will leave the base unstable, cause the forms to shift and will ruin the concrete if it is allowed to run on the unfinished surface.

The end result can be an uneven and poor quality surface, weakened concrete and possibly a totally ruined job.

If you must pour concrete in the rain, use concrete insulating blankets to retain the heat for a proper cure and to keep the rain off prior to finishing.

Make sure there is proper drainage in the area so runoff will not damage the forms or concrete and that you have a safe and clutter free area to work.

Additional help will also be necessary as well to assure a quality job.

Mike,

Posted 2013-05-20T20:16:13+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

not a good idea unless you have a tarp to cover you while you do the job.  besides, the water seepage from rain will dilute the mix on the outer edges reducing the holding power of the mix.  It will take longer to set.

Set up a tarp over the hole.  build a small moat around the hole from the dirt from the hole.  do the jog and let set for 4 to 6 hrs.  Should hold but keep the tarp over it until the rain stops for good.

Posted 2013-05-22T03:51:33+0000  by retbthompson

Hi retbthompso, You missed my original point which is in the very first line.

"Pouring concrete in rain is always avoided if at all possible, for the obvious reasons."

Mike, 

Posted 2013-05-23T17:23:35+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+