Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

can you paint acar with rustoleum paint

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-28T16:41:24+0000  by lucylulu lucylulu

Hello lucylulu!

What an interesting question!

You know, Rust-Oleum is designed for metal and I'm certain it has been done before.

However, there are so many opportunities for this to turn into a controlled mess, that I'm not certain I would.

BUT LET'S HYPOTHESIZE ANYWAY!

If it were me, I'd prep by sanding the entire surface with a 400-grit Wet/Dry sandpaper.

Then I would wipe down the entire surface with acetone on a rag ... changing rags often and disposing of these flammable rags safely.

I would make certain to use the oil-based gallons or quarts ... even though the colors are limited.

And, I would use a compressor-driven HVLP Cup Gun ... adjusting the air pressure and gun tip to create a fine, even fan of paint.

Before spraying, I would assemble a paint booth to contain the overspray and prevent dust from settling on the fresh paint.

Then I would prime with two coats of Automotive Primer, sanding and wiping again between coats.

And finally, I would apply two or three coats of paint, allowing the prescribed dry-time between each coat.

Additional layers of clear coat might be added if you want a longer lasting paint job.

THAT SAID:

It might actually be less expensive to watch for an advertised special at a local paint shop.

But if you simply want to DIY ... then the answer is a qualified Yes!

Posted 2014-01-28T17:30:01+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

lucylulu,

You certainly CAN use RustOleum. The question is should you! Automobile paints are a completely different formulation than paints intended for more general use. They dry harder and are more fade and oxidtion resistant.

Most of the automobile paints are now clear coated in a two step process. A dull base coat is applied and then a clear finish put over it. This is actually a quantum leap for the do-it-yourselfer. With older single stage paints, the difference between flowing out and sagging was a VERY fine line that even the pros had trouble with. This was especially true of metallic colors where the metallic particles would float out unevenly. The dull base coat has "tooth" and helps keep the clear coat from sagging. As soon as the basecoat looks shiny, you STOP spraying!

Further, automobile paints can be adjusted for different conditions of temperature, humidity and sheen by use of different solvents and additives. If you want good results, you are best advised to go to an automotive paint store where you can be given the proper paint, supplies and advice.

Years ago, I painted the bottom half of my motorhome to get rid of the generic Winnegago tan and replace it with a striking metallic plum color. Frankly, I was a little intimidated by the task, but my son pushed me to go for it. I was amazed at how well it went and how fantastic the result was. The secret was that clear coat system.

My son called home from college. A premature warm day in April was predicted by the weatherman. Warm, no bugs yet, and wind still. Perfect for having to spray out in the open air. He came home from college and we had the whole project done in about half a day! Prep was merely wiping down the area with a cleaner/deglosser and fine 3M scrubby pads. After taping off the area, the basecoat was applied, and shortly thereafter, the clearcoat.

Now this being said, a few years ago I had a colleague at HD who wanted to paint his old pick-up truck inexpensively. I recommended he use the RustOleum Professional line of spray cans. Unfortunately, the color choice is very limited. The Pro line dries slower and harder that the other Rustoleum lines. The slower drying, about an hour or two, results in it flowing out better than the other lines.

One trick I gave him was to heat the cans by placing them in hot water straight out of the water tap for several minutes. This increases the pressure in the can. Being an oil paint, heat makes it flow better. Otherwise, it is just like any good paint job, using long, straight, overlapping strokes.

My colleague painted his truck and was thrilled how well it turned out. He commented that his friends could not believe he had done it with a humble spray can.

Hope this has helped somewhat.

Posted 2014-01-28T17:33:31+0000  by ordjen

You can certainly paint a car with RustOleum.  The only drawback is that it will look exactly like a car painted with RustOleum and won't last very long.  There's a reason the manufacturers charge upwards of $80 per quart of paint for vehicles.

Posted 2014-01-28T20:26:30+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+