Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Answered

ceiling fan and light on room

question for anyone who can help i installed a ceiling fan yesterday and i had the circuit breaker off when i did it my cuestion is when iturned on the breaker my wife watched some sparks coming out on top of the ceiling fan well come to find out red and black wire were loose so now i tied them back on and ceiling fan and light are working fine but now i turn off the breaker and everything on that room turns off but ceiling fan or light can anyone tell me what could be wrong i would really appreciate it.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-27T15:06:53+0000  by bdlc1977 bdlc1977

Hey bdlc1977.

I have worked in electrical for 7 years and I don't know how many times I have seen rooms with the outlets one 1 circuit and the lights on another. I finished my basement and put all my outlets on 1 circuit and my lights on another. It is my opinion that the lights in that room are on a different circuit and we are possibly flipping the wrong breaker.

With the fan and light on go down and flip each breaker until they turn off. It is impossible for a light to be on when the circuit is turned off. Otherwise maybe you have a bad breaker.

Best Answer

Posted 2011-03-27T17:27:00+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

thank you greengiant checked all the breakers and most of them measured 120+ volts so i turned off the brakers one by one and one of them turned off the fan and light the weird thing is that the breaker is the one marked for the smoke alarms.  well thankyou for the advice i was kind of worried i had wired the fan wrong thank you again

Posted 2011-03-27T20:54:54+0000  by bdlc1977

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+