Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

ceiling fan removal

I have what I believe is a Hampton Bay ceiling fan like no other that I've seen. I'm trying to remove it so it can be replaced. I see no visible screws for removing the housing. I've tried twisting and turning but can't figure it out.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-08-27T14:59:44+0000  by Leno Leno

Hi Leno, welcome to the community. Wow you do have a project there. If you believe this is a Hampton Bay fan, then there should be a model and UPC code located on the motor housing. If you have the UPC code you can place a call to the Hampton Bay customer service team at 1-877-527-0313 M-F 8 am-6 pm (EST). They can help you figure out how to remove this fan.

If you do not have the UPC code, then you will need to try and remove the lighting plate from the rest of the fan and see if there is any screws underneath that attaches the top. If that is not possible, you will need to see if there is any identifying label of the manufacture that might lead you to some instructions for that model of fan.

Posted 2015-08-27T17:28:32+0000  by Ken_HD_OC
Hi Leno!

I made this video to prepare Store Associates to teach DIY classes: How To Install A Ceiling Fan.

This step-by-step video should give you a great idea how to reverse the process to remove your fan.

Posted 2015-08-27T22:30:45+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hey Leno,

I just wanted to add more information to what Ken already mentioned. Unfortunately, the video link that Pat gave is for a downrod installed ceiling fan, and yours is a flush mount. With that said, lets get you on the right track for disassembling the fan with the proper information.

Luckily, it appears to be a ceiling fan we carry as an in-stock item; the Hampton Bay Hawkins 44" Tarnished Bronze fan.

I work in the lighting department at my Home Depot store here in Atlanta, and its a fairly straight forward approach to getting the motor housing cover removed.

In the diagram below for this fan from the users manual, you'll see the screws that lock the flush mount housing into place in figure 8. These are on the side near where it meets the ceiling.

You should see 4 screws, and all need to be removed so you can finish taking down the entire fan.

Remember, that these screws are at the top near where the housing meets the ceiling. You may need extra lighting, but you can remove it using a hand-held screwdriver.

Of course, if you still don't see screws if by chance it isn't the Hawkins ceiling fan, then it may have a decorative cover ring that slid over the entire housing. This is doubtful, since most flush mount fans I have seen don't carry those.

Read the information I just wrote, and view the links provided here to see if this information can assist in taking your fan down safely.

And as always, please update us on your progress.

Joseph

Posted 2015-08-29T13:17:28+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+