Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

cleaning travertine tile in kitchen

Hi I need to clean the travertine tile in my kitchen and bathroom. Should I have a professional company do this or can I do it myself?

how do i go about doing it myself?

Also, my grout needs cleaning and sealing - can I do that also? How do I do that?

Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-11-25T21:17:22+0000  by opal2 opal2

Hey opal2,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Cleaning travertine tile is a fairly simple DIY cleaning project that easily be done. Make sure first that there are no heavy stains from food or foot traffic existing on the floor. Once that is done, you can go to your nearest Home Depot and pick out the following materials for your cleaning job.

Miracle Sealants Tile and Stone Cleaner

Use this product shown and linked above to get the travertine clean once and for all. The concentrated formula means this bottle can be used numerous times and will easily clean both your kitchen and bathroom.

Work in a small section (about 3 ft. by 3 ft.) using a sponge mop and water bucket. The sponge mop will clean and cover more effectively than the older headband style janitor mops.

Rubbermaid Reveal Microfiber Spray Mop

For any hard-to-reach or stubborn tile/grout stains, I'd recommend to use the cleaner without diluting it on those troublesome areas using a grout and tile brush to safely get the stains off.

DO NOT use harsh household cleaning products like Formula 409, which can permanently damage the surface area of your travertine.

QEP 2.5 in. Grout and Tile Brush

Wipe off any excessive amounts of the water/cleaner solution to avoid puddling and to speed up the drying process.

After your floor is clean, you are now ready to apply sealer. Putting down the sealer is a similar process to cleaning; using a mop to apply the sealer onto the tiles in small sections at a time.

It is up to you if you want the sealer to just be that; to simply seal the tiles without any sheen. There are many sealers out there, and depending on your preference will determine what sealer you will get.

I prefer a sealer rated for natural stone tiles (which is what travertine is) and nothing in a high sheen finish, as they can create a trip hazard for the kitchen and bath floors.

Most sealers don't use water dilution, so use it straight from the container. Fortunately, most tile sealers out on the market covers large square footage areas, so even a 32 oz. bottle can go far.

Apply the sealer with the same mop you used for the cleaner (after making sure the cleaner is rinsed off the mop head). Then you can use a sponge to get into hard-to-reach or areas you may have missed with the regular mop.

QEP Grouting Sponge

Other than a good pair of knee pads and gloves, you can easily clean and seal your travertine floors yourself!

Was there any other questions you had regarding maintenance of your travertine tile floors? Let us know and we can assist you further.

Best of luck to you on your project,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-11-26T20:51:52+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+