Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

clocks won't hold time?

I have a few clocks that I would like to fix.  They are all battery operated but even with new batteries, they will not hold the time.  Alll of these clocks are Not expensive, but hold sentimental value to me.    How do  you replace the "brain" in the rear and where do I buy them?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-04-14T23:14:20+0000  by dssbdriver dssbdriver

Hi dssbdriver:   Welcome to the community..Glad you had the Time to stop by. LOL:smileyvery-happy:

Fixing clocks are usually specific to each manufacturer and may require the exact OEM parts in order to maintain their consistency.  Most basic clocks will use standard parts and equipment that can be found at any clock parts supplier online.  The part that you most likely need is called a Movement and is seen here below.

movement.jpg

Hope this helps

paiintpro.JPG

Posted 2012-04-15T14:25:34+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Hello dssbdriver,

I would have to agree with PaintPro that it’s most likely the movement that needs to be replaced.

I’ve made many different wooden clocks and had to replace a few of them over time. They’re not that expensive and are very easy to remove and replace.

I get all of my movements from my local craft store Michael’s. They are available in 3 different shaft lengths ¼”, 3/8” and ¾” so just measure the thickness of your clock surface to determine which one will work for each clock. They have some kits that have the movement, hands and numbers all together and they also sell the movements by themselves. So if you need to replace any of the hands or numbers they will have them also.

I hope this has helped you get your clocks back in working order.:smileyhappy:

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2012-04-18T18:38:07+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Hello dssbdriver, PaintPro and Shecandoit22 have some excellent suggestions, a have tired a website Klockit, they carry a variety of clocks parts for battery operated, electrical, atomic etc. You can look at your clocks in your home and compare them to the ones on the website, then print out pictures and bring it to a Michael's or order it online. Let us know how it goes. 

Posted 2012-04-19T14:31:58+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+