Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

cloffice/paint/plywood

I am thinking about turning my closet into a mini office so I was going to buy some plywood to put in my closet for the desk and I was going to buy some regular white paint to paint the plywood. But then I though should i just use spray paint instead because its a lot easier and cost less. I was just wondering what the best option would be and any other advice for my cloffice.
thanks
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-03-09T02:56:11+0000  by tiff tiff

Welcome to our community Tiffany! 

Thank you for your question! You can spray paint plywood, but you will want to be sure to use a primer before hand, as plywood is porous and needs to be sealed. Primer is available in a spray form as well. 

Before you paint, you will want to be sure that the surface is smooth. If you are using cabinet grade plywood, just using 120 grit sand paper to smooth it will be enough. If you are using a rough plywood, you will want to start with a course sandpaper, such as 60 grit and work your way up to 120 or 150 grit sandpaper until it is smooth. 

If you have any more questions, please let us know! 

Christine    
Posted 2015-03-09T14:58:54+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL
Hey tiff!

Creative idea for that old closet!

Based upon cost per can, spray may appear to be cheaper, but in function you'll find a quart of primer and paint-in-one will cost less, create less odor, and will take less time.

Simply saturate a 3/8th nap roller cover with paint and smooth on a medium-thick coat.

Allow to dry, lightly sand with 220-grit if you need the surface smoother, and apply a smooth final coat.

There are many ways to complete DIY projects like your mini office.

Come back, post photos and let us know your recommendations when you're done.
Posted 2015-03-10T10:38:06+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Brushed primers and paints  have more "build" and will do a better job of  rapidly filling and sealing the grain. An oil based brushed primer will seal the grain down rapidly. It can then be sanded with fine 220 grit sandpaper to give an very smooth, well sealed surface to receive the finish coat, whether oil or latex based.  My preference for furniture is always an oil based paint. They simply dry harder without that somewhat gummy feel inherent in latex paints, especially when it is humid.

Spray cans are usually oil based and will give a nice finish without brush strokes.  However, it will probably take multiple coats with spray primer to get sufficient build on the surface. Definitely use the dedicated primer first, rather than starting with the primer and paint in one spray cans. The spray finish could also be used over an oil based brushed on primer.
Posted 2015-03-11T01:24:54+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+