Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

concrete dog run

Hello, I had contractors lay conrete for my dog run but they did not do it as I asked(with a drain-as my mom has had in all her dog runs). Now i'm left with a dog run that I can't drain when i wash and to make matters worse its perfectly level whereas the main portion of the patio to which it is attached is not so ir drains onto the main patio area. Long story short, Im looking for a relatively do it myself way of at least putting a little dent like drain want to be thing into one of the edges. hard to describe but I need to sculpt out a small section of concrete somewhat smoothly to allow water and leaves to flow out the direction I choose.I know I could hire another contractor to do this but at this time I am understandably hesitant to trust someone to do it right and do not want to put too much more money into this project as I had to fix a lot after the last guys tried to do it.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-05T21:46:28+0000  by Hippiechyk Hippiechyk

Hi hippiechyk,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.

Wow, that is the pits!  I am assuming that you do have a drain but that there is not a slope to direct the water and debris to the drain, Right?  If this is the case then there is a solution for you, but you will need some strong arms to help you with this project. 

The Home Depot Tool Rental Center carries a type of diamond grinder that can be used on your cement slab.  This is normally used to polish a concrete slab but the process will work the same for you.  You will want to get the heavy duty one.  Be sure to check with your local Home Depot Tool Rental for availability.

Concrete Floor grinder Tool Rental.jpg

This is a slower task and may take a few hours of work.  You will be "sanding" or "grinding' the concrete down to the level that will work for you.  I would start in the center of the slab and then work out to the edges with most of the emphasis on the center.  Use a level to check your grade before you start.  This will also give you an idea of how much slope you have made with your concrete diamond grinding machine.  This is an electrical unit and can be run dry or wet, but I recommend that you use water to keep down the dust.  

The machine is very heavy and will take at least two strong guys, or gals to lift this in and out of your truck.  If you do not have a truck, The Home Depot Tool Rental Department may have a trailer that you can rent, but you will need to have a trailer hitch on your vehicle.

Once you have achieved the desired slope, you may have to reposition the drain if there is one since the area around the drain will now be lower than the drain unless the drain has been positioned lower than the slab.  If not, it may be necessary to jack hammer the drain out and reposition it at the proper depth.

The Home Depot uses licensed contractors for all of our projects and we guarantee your satisfaction.  In many cases, cheaper is not always better.

Be sure to take a video of your project and share it with the rest of the community in our Project Library under "I Did This".

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

This has been another of,

Posted 2013-09-06T23:37:04+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+