Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

concrete flooring

I have a concrete floor in an industrial office area.  Half has carpet and for the other half I has a concrete floor and carpet glue on it.  There are also several long cracks in it.  I want to put down a concrete floor with something and add a design to the mixture as I go.  What do I use for the cement part.  What would be the best way to do this?  Thanks in Advance
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-07-25T14:03:41+0000  by HOPI HOPI

Hi HOPI,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

Putting concrete on top of concrete is a much more difficult and professional job versus simply using a stain or paint that can cover it.

Luckily, the option of coatings can give you a design element similar to faux painting if you wish. However, if you want to physically place a layer of a pattern to the surface of the concrete, you will have to scarify the existing surface.

This means renting out a scarifier machine, and then carefully applying a layer of cement evenly. This is a project typically out of the range for an average DIY'er. 

Not only is it a challenge, but it will also raise your floor, which means removal of any base moulding, and possible altering of doors and room transitions.....including where it meets the carpet half of your room.

This is why it's easier to apply a concrete stain or a floor-rated paint. As stated earlier, you can achieve various looks...it just depends on what you want. Once you have a preference, then you can go forward with getting the correct finish.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2016-07-25T19:26:30+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+