Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

container garden

Hello. I live in southern Colorado and planted my green and yellow beans in mid-May and now have wonderful leaves and stalks.

My question is that a couple weeks ago (around July 1) , my bean plants have ceased to produce more than little immature beans. Is there something I can do to get my garden to produce more? Or is this the normal growing period and that's it?

Ann Miller

Pueblo, CO

annhkmiller@yahoo.com

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-14T15:48:03+0000  by annhkmiller annhkmiller

Hi Ann.

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.

Container gardening is a great way to have veggies at hand when space is limited.  Have you had some very hot days recently?  Your beans may be getting too much sun. 

In the extreme heat of the summer, your beans may need to have a little afternoon shade.  Beans tend to stop flowering or growing in during the very hot periods of the summer. Be sure to continue your regular watering to keep them hydrated and happy.  Once the extreme heat has passed, your beans should resume their flowering a growing. 

As long as your beans are hydrated be sure to regularly fertilize them to provide your plants with the nutrients they need for a continued healthy growth.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Rick_HD_OC

Posted 2015-07-14T18:12:16+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+