Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

craftsman 1/2in drill/driver need to replace the chewed up chuck

I bought a replacement chuck to replace my chewed up chuck. I can't get the old one off. The center screw woulnt budge. I bought the biggest phillips screwdriver that Sears sells.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-02-21T01:21:02+0000  by rdodger rdodger

Hi Rdodger, this is Mike The Home Depot Answer Man.


The center screws on these chucks have left hand threads. You will need to turn the screw clockwise to loosen it.


Once you have the screw removed take a ¼ inch hex wrench and insert the short end into the chuck.


Tighten the chuck on the hex wrench. Then take a small hammer and strike the long end of the hex wrench.


Make sure the chuck turns in the clockwise direction when you strike the hex wrench.


This will loosen the chuck. You then can remove the old chuck and install the new one.


Spin the new one on tight and reinsert the retaining screw.


Now you’re ready to use your new chuck.


I hope this helps solve the problem.



Posted 2012-02-21T01:58:49+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question