Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

cutting Solistone Playa Beige 12 In.x12 In. Beige Micro Pebbles Floor & Wall Tile

How do we cut this tile to square?

Solistone Playa Beige 12 In.x12 In. Beige Micro Pebbles Floor & Wall Tile (10 Sq. Ft/Case)

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-17T11:46:36+0000  by waterstar waterstar

Good morning waterstar,

Thank you for your question and for joining us here on the community!

Just to let everyone else know about your tile, your Solistone Playa Beige Pebbles Tile is shown and linked below.

Solistone Playa Beige 12 In.x12 In. Beige Micro Pebbles Floor & Wall Tile (10 Sq. Ft/Case)

To cut your tile in a straight line for a square, you will need a wet tile saw. This ensures the line cut is straight and professional in look.

Depending on how much tile you cut, you can decide if you want to rent or buy one. The wet saw I purchased was a Wet Tile Saw  sold in our flooring department and works great with these kinds of tiles.

I cut thin glass tile earlier this year for a coffee table I rebuilt using this wet saw, and you can read more about it by clicking the image below.

Working slowly and safely when using a wet tile saw

The key is using a marker that won't stain or damage your tiles. Even though the mark will be cut, you need to make sure the cut is straight and doesn't stray off its intended path. Fortunately, using a wet tile saw will reduce the chances of error and give you a nice edge for your tiles.

Using this type of saw is really the best way to cut your pebbles tile.

Let me know if you have any particular or additional questions regarding your tiles.

Joseph

Posted 2013-07-17T12:40:07+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Thank you for your quick response! My concern is that the pebbles may "slip" as the saw tries to cut them. Do you think there is a way to prevent that?

Posted 2013-07-17T13:15:05+0000  by waterstar

You are very welcome!

Did you see the image of me cutting the glass tiles? Depending on the tile saw you use will determine how much of the tile will stay on the tray. Since you have a regular 12 in. x 12 in. tiles, most wet saws on the market will have enough of a tray to significantly reduce any 'slips' as you call them.

As long as you carefully cut the tiles and mark your cuts, you can then firmly and slowly use the blade to cut your tiles. SInce the blade cuts slow, you can easily observe and make any changes to the direction of the tile.

Some higher end tile saws have a platform large enough for you to place the entire tile on it easily without bending the tile. Since its a mosaic pebble tile you have, you actually can easily cut them with a tile saw without a large margin of error.

As with using any unfamiliar tool, experiment with a tile or two and see how easy it is to cut your tiles this way. Make sure to use gloves and  eye wear to protect yourself.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2013-07-17T15:44:24+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+