Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

difference between a drill and an impact driver

I am relatively new to home repair and don't do a great deal of "diy." The cordless power drill I have is about 3-5 years old at least, and I think it is starting to go. I am looking into getting a new one. my question is, What is the actual difference between a cordless power drill and a cordless impact driver?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-31T10:13:24+0000  by jsmythe jsmythe

Hi jsmythe ChrisFixit here. A drill is a great go-to tool for any DIYer to have, from hanging a picture to hanging drywall it can and will be your best friend.

A power drill at its simplest is designed for both drilling holes and driving screws into a variety of materials.  Cordless drills will typically feature an adjustable clutch which allows you to adjust the torque of the motor when driving screws to a consistent depth and helps limit the tendency of wrist snap. This adjustable clutch is what makes the cordless power drill so versatile in use.

Impact drivers are used strictly for driving screws and bolts in situations where high torque is a must. In addition to the speed and torque, concussive force makes driving long deck screws through wood and self-tapping screws into sheet metal and steel no problem at all. Impact drivers are also the tool of choice for many mechanics. Because the impact driver has such high levels of torque it is less useful than a cordless drill for lighter duty jobs around the home.

I hope that helps you out some and be sure to get back to us with any other questions you may have, we're glad to help. Welcome to the community!

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

Posted 2011-07-31T13:59:30+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

I do not have a impact drill. Can I used impact drill bits with regular cordless drill?

Posted 2013-06-03T21:26:19+0000  by Vgov

Yes. Impact bits are typically made to higher standards than regular bits.

A major difference between regular cordless drills, and most cordless impact drills is the chuck. Cordless drills will have a 3/8" or 1/2" chuck that will accept a variety of bits and drivers. Cordless impact drivers often only accept bits with 1/4" hex shanks.

Posted 2013-06-26T23:51:29+0000  by IBEWPRO

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+