Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

dishwasher won't drain

My dishwasher isn't draining, it's worked fine for 8 years. The dishwasher is a built in type.  How can I know if it is the pump and where to find it?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-26T14:18:26+0000  by lhuff lhuff

It does not have to be the pump it could be a clog what you need to do is take out the 2 screws that hold the dishwasher in and slide it out to check the tube. if it is the pump you can get a new pump it is an easy install.   Kevin

Posted 2011-03-27T01:38:03+0000  by KPTCarpentry

Hey there Ihuff, ChrisFixit here I've gone through the same situation recently and wanted to help out. After all who wants to step into their kitchen and suffer the dreaded wet socks of DOOM :robotsurprised:. As KPTcarpentry stated its not always the pump that's gone out so lets check a couple other things before going down that road.

In my dishwasher case it was a massive clog where the dishwasher drain line met the sink drain that caused the backup and the solution took all of 10 minutes.

Disconnect the dishwasher drain line from the sink drain and check for obstructions on both the sink and dishwasher sides of the drain. Route the lines with either a Zip-it tool or carefully with a straightened wire hanger. Be sure to wear rubber gloves and have some kind of container to catch anything that falls through. Replace and tighten all connections.

Another place to check is within the dishwasher itself. Towards the back of the dishwasher on the floor you will find the dishwasher basket. It is usually removed with a screwdriver but models vary. Once the basket is removed check for any debris blocking it. After the basket area is clean replace the basket.

After completing the step above you can try the time old combination of baking soda, vinegar and water. First take about a 1/2 cup backing soda with just enough water to make a paste and pour it down into the drain. Pour 1/2 cup vinegar behind this and allow it to work for about 15-30 minutes. Follow this up with by pouring hot water just below the point of boiling. 

By following these steps you have a good chance of fixing the issue with minimal cost. If it ends up being another issue like the pump the fix may be largely dependent on your particular model. If that is the case be sure to get back to us with the info and we will do our best to help you out. I hope this helps and welcome to the community.

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

Posted 2011-03-27T14:51:39+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+