Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

do i have to completely remove old stain from a fence before re-staining it? if i use darker stain?

I stained our fence several years ago after power washing it (for 1st application of stain) and it needs to be re-stained again this year.  Do i need to use a chemical to remove all the old stain or can I just power wash it and re-stain over everything else?  Will it matter if I go with a darker color stain?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-08T18:08:53+0000  by btekampe btekampe

Hello btekampe!

Since stains are penetrating sealers, the simple test to determine if a new coat of stain will absorb is to spritz of water onto the fence.

If the water beads up, the surface is sealed and will not accept more stain.

Under this circumstance, you might choose to simply clean the fence using a hose-end wash like Mold Armor Deck Wash.

If the water beads up in some areas but absorbs into the wood in other areas, some of the finish has degraded and the fence needs to be stained again.

In this case, use Behr All-In-One to kill the mildew and remove about 1/3 of the existing finish.

After a hose rinse (no pressure washer required), allow the surface to air-dry for six- to eight-hours and then stain.

CHANGING COLORS:

If the surface has degraded significantly, then Behr All-In-One should be enough to remove much of the remaining finish and even-out the wood color.

However, if the deck color is intact since being stained several years ago, then you'll want to use Behr Stain and Finish Stripper to remove the balance of the color before staining darker.

Posted 2013-05-09T12:56:27+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+