Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

do you recommend krud kutter de-glooser before painting ceramic tile?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-06T16:42:16+0000  by abbycadabby919 abbycadabby919

There are a lot variables that go into the answer to your question...

You need to make sure that the surface of the existing tile is rough and able to "grab" hold of the paint and keep it. The de-glosser will work in situations that doesn't require the tile to endure lots of abuse (like walking, counter tops, etc).

The quality and type of paint is equally just as important in order for proper adhesion. An epoxy based paint is ideal for tile painting.

There is a tile refinishing kit made by RUST O-LEUM that has everything you need to tackle a project like tile painting.

RUST-OLEUM Transformations 1 Kit Tile Transformations Natural Stone Finish 

Posted 2013-10-06T17:10:41+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Deglossers will aid in the cleaning of glazed ceramic tile surfaces, but it will absolutely not etch it , soften it , or roughen it.  The glaze on tile is virtually glass. There are acids that will etch glass and porcelain bath fixtures , but they are very hazardous and obviously don't come in glass bottles.

Glazed tile can be physically  abraided with sandpaper. When prepping old wooden windows with sandpaper, you always had to be careful not to let the sandpaper come in contact with the glass, or scratches would result. Similarly, fine sandpaper can abraid the tile surface and present a good surface for the primer or finish coats  to adhere.

In past situations where I had to paint over glass, mirrors or tiled areas, I found BIN pigment shellac , or the clear shellac, to be quite effective . However, I would not use this in  hard use areas or areas subjected to constant and direct water. For such areas and uses, you would want a two part epoxy system, such as the one by RustOlleum , which Kevin has mentioned.

I recently had a woman who wanted to make wedding table decorations by making glass wine bottles into blackboards upon which quests could write comments. The solution was to spray them with clear shellac, followed by a couple coats of RustOleum Blackboard spray paint. The shellac acted as the bonding agent without a heavy build up of film.

Of the water based primers, Zinsser's 1-2-3  or Glidden's Gripper work well on hard slick surfaces such as glass and Formica.

Posted 2013-10-07T00:12:03+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+