Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

does oil base texture create a problem with water base paint? we have an eggshell semi gloss

The problem were having is each spot with texture is showing.It seems dull in comparison to he rest of wall and weve tried second and third coats of paint and they continue to show.We have painted primer on these areas and it has not changed. Could the oil base texture be the problem because people at home depot dont think this would be problem and suggest we cover those areas with a higher gloss and try to blend it with rest of wall.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-26T19:46:43+0000  by chloe1 chloe1

Chloe,

I doubt that the oil undercoater would be the problem unless you really left a heavy texture by using an old, raggy roller cover. Even if too much texture had been created, oil primer sands well and the texture could have been flattened with sandpaper.

Let me ask, when painting, are you keeping a wet edge on the paint? When painting, you never want to be rolling back into paint which has already partially set. To do so pulls up the "skin" which has formed and leaves a texture in the paint which can no longer level itself out. This is most often seen when people cut in all the edges first and then come back and roll the main area of the wall. By the time the rolling is started, the edges have skinned over and rough texture is left in all the corners.

In painting, the goal is to ALWAYS MAINTAIN A WET EDGE!  Acrylics only have a couple minutes before they start forming a skin. Work rapidly and resist the temptation to keep rolling or brushing. To do so actually creates more texture!

Excess texture is also seen where the substrate is not well sealed, as the wall sucks the moisture out of the paint and causes it to set too fast. However, this does not sound like it was the case by you, as oil primers are very good sealers.

Hope this has given some insight.

Posted 2013-10-27T03:06:22+0000  by ordjen

Chloe,

Sorry, but I may have misundersttod the problem. Apparently you have textured walls and for some reason the texture areas appear duller than other areas of the wall? Is this new texture that you have applied? Texture materials are nothing more than a slurry of chaulk and are very porous. However, after your priming with oil primer and multiple coats of paint, the textured areas should be exhibiting the same sheen as the wall.

How soon were the additional coats of paint applied? Paint dries to the touch within an hour or so, bujt takes several days to really cure and reach its ultimate sheen. If coats are applied too rapidly, maximum sealing is not obtained. Many primers instruct that maximum sealing is reached after 24 hours. Frankly, short of this, I am at a loss top explain what is occuring.

Posted 2013-10-28T00:28:38+0000  by ordjen

Chloe.

Now I am really feeling like a dummy. I have to read more carefully! You did not use oil primer, but the quick dry oil based spray texture, as opposed to the water based texture? The texture appears to be "flashing", that is, not holding the same sheen as the rest of the wall, probably due to its porous nature.

As in my last post, I would suggest that you wait 24 hours and try another coat, allowing the paint/primer to reach its maximium sealing point. Ultimately, the textured portions should hold the same sheen. Even plain , untextured new drywall takes at least a primer and two finish coats to reach maximum sheen. The porous texture material is even more difficult to seal completely. I can well believe that the "peaks" of the texture would be flashing out.

Ideally, newly textured walls should have a full prime coat with a dedicated primer, followed by two finish coats. This is more important when higher sheen paints  such as satin or semi-gloss are used.

Hope I have finally given the proper insight.

Posted 2013-10-28T00:44:43+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+