Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

drilling into brick, anchoring a chin up bar

for quite some time now, i've wanted to install a chin up bar in my backyard. i've settled on a bar and the spot but wanted to make sure it was my best option before moving forward.

the building is older but the brick wall is solid; there's no stress fractures and it's painted, so there's minimal surface wear too.

i think it would make a perfect spot, and if anchored properly, not cause a bit of concern.

i have a friend who wants me to think twice about it, though.

i don't know the diameter of the screw holes on the chin up bar, but generally, what type of anchor am i going to use? will a normal drill (and a proper bit) do the trick?  or do i have to rent a hammer drill? 

any tips, advice, etc would be greatly apppreciated.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-16T00:15:08+0000  by waltzngmatlda waltzngmatlda

Waltz, I'm trying to get a sketch on here for you, give me a bit to figure out how to scan it in and I'll post as soon as I can.

Ray

Posted 2011-01-21T18:27:55+0000  by TheHammer

Ray's Sketch.jpg

Posted 2011-01-21T19:03:52+0000  by TheHammer

Does that help,Waltz? Man that was a major accoomplishment on my end...It took three people to get me through that.

If you think that I have "Nailed it", click on all those hammers to the left.

Ray the Hammer

Posted 2011-01-21T19:08:45+0000  by TheHammer

Ray, that sketch was above and beyond.  I have a similar project that's been on my mind for months.  Hope you still partiicpate on this board because your insight would be amazing.  Here goes:

I have 2 brick walls ~ 6 feet apart and I want to put a pull up bar between those two.  I'm thinking to mount a piece of channel or angle iron on each side and then the bar would "rest" on top of these, making the bar removable if I want.  Also making the bar "interchangable" with bars of different diameter to change the workout up. There are many ways the bar could engage and lock into the mounts.  One way I thought was simple was to weld square tabs on the pipe ends and cut a "line" into the angle/channel where these tabs would slip in.  I'm not worried about the bar coming out because my weight would always be in the down direction, plus the bars weight would be sufficient.  But, I could also put a bolt in the bottom of the tab after the bar is installed and that would prevent it from coming out. 

From your post it seems that one weak spot in my plan is the repetive up/down and slight swinging that occurs during pull ups may pull the anchors from the brick?  If I made sure the pipe was as close/tight as possible to brick, so that there was little lateral movement and the downward force was as in line to the brick as possible, would this prevent the whole system from failing?  Plus, I intend to over-engineer this whole thing and use 1/4" thick angle/channel and some good size anchor bolts.  Your thoughts?  I can send pics if it would help.  Thanks,

Alex

Posted 2012-07-08T21:51:59+0000  by ImAlex

Hello Alex and thank you for joining our How-To-Community.

Alex, unfortunately, Ray is no longer part of this team-he decided to fully dedicate himself to his business.

But let me try to help here.

I think you're better of using C channel instead of an angle iron, with the C channel you can notch the slots for the each individual bar you're intending on using and you'll never have to worry about them sliding out of the place.

Here go;

chinup.JPG

Ignore the anchor position, it’s the design thing.Anchors should be stagered and placed in the center of the notched slots.

chinup2.JPG

You are on the right track by keeping the pipe as close/tight as possible to the wall to avoid them pulling out, actually if I was the one making this I would cut the bars EXACT.

They only suggestion i would add is that anchors should be wedge anchors not sleeve and that they should be fastened in to the actual brick or block and not in to the mortar joints.

Wedge anchors are designed to withstand  high shear loads.

wedge.jpg

wedgea.jpg

Sleeve anchors on the other hand are designed for light to medium duty applications.

sleeve.jpg

Hope this helps.

George

Posted 2012-07-09T20:28:35+0000  by George_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+