Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

dry creek bed rocks

Hi, I recently inquired about the plants in the picture from the article dry creek bed rocks. I thank you for your suggestion, however, I was referring to the plants in the shown picture. If it would be possible to get a detailed list of all the plants shown here, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thank you

dry-creek-bed-283022345-580x330
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-09-22T04:59:08+0000  by melloyellow melloyellow

Image result for ferns dry creek bed

Greetings melloyellow,

I love the look of the Dry Creek and all the plants around it. It appears to me that the gardens and creek is located in a shaded nook. I can see that there are a number of ferns planted, I believe that there are wood ferns, ostrich ferns, and possibly red lady ferns.

I detect that the plant in the far left bottom corner is a Hellebore, or Lenten Rose it is a beautiful, shade loving, early bloomer a wonderful plant for any garden.

I believe that there are several varieties of hosta, perhaps a small leaf Praying hands hosta,or Corkscrew variety the large leaf in the center of the photo maybe the  Aphorodite variety a larger leaf hosta.

I also can see flowers towering above the foliage in the back, because it is a shady setting they just might be the beautiful “Heuchera Maxima”, a coral bell variety that has spectacular flowers for a shade plant. All coral bells or heuchera are a great addition to a shade garden.

And of course moss…. a creek bed would not be complete without moss! Moss can be planted or created. Irish moss and Scottish moss can be planted, it will take a bit of time for it so take and spread, but it is so lovely and thick…. with itty-bitty white flowers in the spring.

You can create moss on rocks and stones by following the recipe on this link, a little man made moss may add another layer of texture to bring your dry creek to life!

I just want to add a couple of suggestions to the list of plants from the photo: Solomon’s Seal and Japanese Forest Grass bring a delightful dimension to a shaded space.

So melloyellow, I hope this helps with the design of your dry creek bed! Please send us a few images of your before, during and after dry creek  project, we would love to see your process.     Maureen 

Posted 2016-09-22T13:26:11+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+