Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

dry wall repair

I need to repair a 3/4" dry wall hole in my garage.  Problem is that 3/4" is not made anymore.  How should I go about repairing this.  I thought of using a 1/4" piece of plywood underneath a 5/8" piece of drywall so it will be at the same level as the surrounding drywall. 



Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-12-06T18:48:13+0000  by winters winters




Hi Winters, Welcome to the Community.  You’re on the right track with your suggested solution.


I might add we have at The Home Depot a couple of products that will make this repair easy.

Wal-Board Tools makes a drywall patch. It is self adhesive. Just cut it to size, stick it on and mud over it. I have included a link below with more information.


If it’s a large hole we sell Wal-Board drywall repair clips. They screw in behind the drywall at the opening. This gives you a surface to attach the repair piece to. You can use plywood, cardboard or any spacer you have available to flush out the repair piece. I have included a link below.


 I usually fix a small hole, by cutting a piece of drywall to fit the hole, butter  the edges with drywall mud and place it in the hole, let the mud dry, sand and paint. I have used this solution may times and it works great.


I hope these ideas are useful




                                            patchARD TOOLS 6 in. x 6 in.jpgclipsOARD TOOLS Drywall Repair Clips 54-014.jpg      
Posted 2010-12-06T20:23:51+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Welcome Winters and thank you for joining The Community! 


Like HDAnswerman expertly explained, we have several products that will patch your hole and make the wall look new again.  I wanted to add two links that show how to patch walls (click here for small holes and click here for large holes).   The work that you do in repairing the wall will show up when you smooth, sand, prime, and paint your finished wall. 


Best wishes on your repair project and please keep us updated on your success!

Posted 2010-12-07T18:02:31+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

I want to remove to medicine chest from the powder room  wall and replace the opening with flat dry wall to match the adjoining wall.  Is this something that this novice do it your selfer should attempt with any reasonable expectation of success?  ejb

Posted 2011-05-03T21:29:41+0000  by ejb

Hey ejb, welcome to the Home Depot Community!


Yes, a novice DIYer can do this work successfully.  The novice part means that you will need to pick up a few tools you may not have, and take your time on a couple of things I will mention below.


Take a look at our Home Depot Project Guide on patching large holes:  LINK.


The medicine cabinet you are removing should have been framed in with wood.  With any luck, the drywall border can be carefully cut away, exposing the framing studs.  The step 3 picture shows just the sides this way, but your cutout will expose framing at the top, bottom and sides.



You should be able to expose this framing wood which will provide a perfect perimeter mounting for the new drywall patch.  Given the size of the hole, I would definitely want a center brace.  Instead of screwing it to existing drywall as in the picture, you can pre-drill the brace and screw it directly into the framework.  You should have room for a 2x4 as a brace, making for the best strength and easiest install. The tricky part here is to get the brace exactly even with the framework.  If you have to re-do this a couple of times to get it just right, then it’s worth the time.


Another approach would be to create a rough frame inside the existing hole.  This may be easier for you to do, and would work better if the existing frame is made from 1x wood rather than 2x.  Once again, getting the framework just right makes all the difference.  You will still want a center brace.


The whole purpose here is to be able to drop in a cut drywall patch and have it be perfectly even with the existing wall.  This is the part we all can have trouble with, but getting this right means the mudding process will go well.  In the step 5 picture (shown below) the patch is slightly recessed.  It will require a skim coat of drywall compound across its entire surface in order to make a smooth wall patch.  You want to minimize this on a patch as large as a medicine cabinet.



On to the drywall compound.  Many professionals like to use the dry mix because it sets up fast like mortar.  It is also strong, and as such can be difficult to sand.  As a DIYer, you have the luxury of time.  I recommend using the premix compound.  Fill in the big cracks all around, apply tape and mud the tape in.  Smooth it all out and then give it a day to completely dry.  You may find that areas with the largest gaps now have cracked as the mix dried.  That’s OK, since you are now going to go over the area again.  Dry time will now be shorter, and then you can sand this smooth.


Feathering the edges with the 12” knife for the third application is what will make the wall look smooth.  Sand this all down and check it with a straight edge.  Once again, it is the time you spend going over this process that will determine how “invisible” the patch becomes.


One more thing.  Gloss paint shows every surface imperfection.  Flat paint tends to hide them.  Please use primer on the patched area before applying paint.


I hope this helps,


Posted 2011-05-06T14:44:49+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question