Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

dryer cord won't stay in socket

I just bought the cord for my dryer about a week or so ago. I have used the dryer 3 or 4 times with no problem. But today the cord won't stay in the socket. I don't understand why and would like some answers as to how to fix this. Thanks.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-22T14:47:18+0000  by jmroo jmroo

Hi jmroo,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

The very first thing I would recommend you do is to find the double pole breaker powering up the dryer (should be 30 amps in your breaker panel) and turn it off. 

Once you have done this, you can then use a flashlight, screwdriver, and remove the cover plate, regardless if it surface (out of the wall) or flush (in-wall) mounted and inspect it for any loose or missing screws.

After doing this, remove the cover going over the receptacle, and physically plug in and out the male end of the cord to see where and how the loose areas are doing.

Look out for any damaged areas (remember the power should be turned off). It may be something as simple as tightening screws on the spade contacts. Any 3 or 4 prong dryer plug should fit exactly into its receptacle outlet counterpart exactly without any alterations.

Regardless of how it is coming off, troubleshoot it by doing the steps above. If the plug is still coming out, the culprit may be a damaged outlet or plug, which would need to be replaced.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Joseph

Posted 2015-07-22T18:07:47+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Hi jmroo,

When conductive metals fatigue, they should be replaced as a simple matter of safety.

In your case, it is possible that the conductive prongs in your damaged outlet could be bent back into shape.

However, the fatigue from bend in those prongs may also create additional "resistance" ... impeding the flow of electricity.

Resistance often creates additional heat at the point where flow is limited.

So, go ahead and replace that outlet ... with the breaker turned off.

It will be a very small price to pay for the peace of mind that your home is safe.
Posted 2015-07-28T22:02:58+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+