Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

elastomeric paint on lower section of siding?

Hey all,

I am in the process of preparing to paint my house exterior (t1-11 siding) and am looking to provide some protection against water infiltration/rot. I've noticed that most of the siding/rot repairs on this house are near the bottom of the siding (where it stops at the concrete foundation). My guess is that rain water bounces off of the concrete apron and then soaks into the bottom section of the siding. 

My current plan is to use a strip of elastomeric paint on the lower sections of the siding to help reduce this water penetration. Would laying a strip of elastomeric paint in this manner cause any issues? 

Thanks!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-07-09T22:40:44+0000  by kinkajou84 kinkajou84

Quality 100% acrylic paints, such as the entire Behr line, are already highly elastomeric. T1-11 is basically decorative plywood. As with any plywood, the most vulnerable part is the edges. Rain runs down the T1-11 and "teapots"on the bottom edge, whipping the water toward the house wall and wetting the entire bottom edge of the T1-11. To counter this , when you paint the siding, hold a baffel , such as a wide blade spackle knife against the house wall and jamb up plenty of paint on that bottom edge of the plywood. Do at least two coats of paint on this edge to protect it from absorbing water and wicking it up into the plywood.
Two full coats of paint is often advised on T1-11 to bridge the grain that tends to open up as it ages. Again, if the grain opens up, the plywood becomes vulnerable to water penetration. Being plywood, it is subject to delamination when constantly being wetted.
I have in the past, fashioned a decorative rain cap by attaching a 1 X 4 to the bottom face of the T1-11. I run the the 1x4 through my table saw to put a 10 degree bevel on the top and lower edges of the board. This bevel directs rain water away from the house and bottom edge. Once attached, I caulk the top the edge of the board where it butts up against the T1-11. My preference for caulk is a rethane elastoreric, such as Vulkem or Sonneborn. It is easier to prime and paint this board before attaching it to the house. After it is attached, and the caulk has set, it then can be quickly "faced off" with a final coat of paint.
Posted 2018-07-10T05:27:55+0000  by ordjen
Thank you for the tips. I'll try to jam some paint on the bottom edge. From what I can tell, the last paint job was a spray so I doubt they got under there. 
Posted 2018-07-10T21:45:47+0000  by kinkajou84

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+