Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

expand door opening

My husband and I want to change a 60 in door opening to one for a 30 inch door.  The wall this opening is in was previously an exterior wall that had a sliding glass door.  An  addition was built, the glass doors removed, and two bi-fold doors were placed in the 60 inch wide by 80 inch tall opening. The doors look like closet doors, and I have always hated them. My husband and I want to replace the bi-fold doors with a prehung 30  inch door and a new wall to close the opening. All the prehung interior doors I have been able to find require a rough opening of 32 wide by 82 and a 1/2 tall. After we have removed all trim work, our rough opening is only 81 inches tall. How do we get the additional 1 1/2 inches of height needed on the side of the opening where the door will be placed? Is there a possible way, or do we need to order a custom door?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-04-28T18:37:42+0000  by kaseyharris kaseyharris

Hello Kaseyharris, and welcome to the community!

I work for the Home Depot in the Chicagoland area, and work in the Doors & Windows department. The solution is very simple, without having to modify your opening, you can take your rough opening size into your nearest Home Depot and special order the size you need.

If you can remove the drywall across the top of the opening, you might be able to raise the header just enough to clear a standard size door, if you don't want to order a custom cut-down door.

header.jpg

Posted 2011-04-28T19:23:16+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+