Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

exterior metal doors

I need to paint a few metal exterior doors on my house. what type of paint  and or primer would i use?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-05T16:51:46+0000  by empresstoryave empresstoryave

Hey Empresstoryave,

Painting exterior doors is one of the easiest ways to improve the curb appeal of your home. First I would remove any loose paint on the doors and lightly sand them with a medium grit sand paper. Wipe the door with a damp cloth to remove any dirt and dust.

If the door doesn’t have any rust on it I would recommend using this primer:

clean metal.jpgRust-oleum clean metal primer.

If the door does have rust you should use this primer:

rusty metal.jpgRust-oleum rusty metal primer

When it comes to painting the door your best option is probably Behr Ultra exterior paint. Use a sheen that matches your exterior shutters if you have them, otherwise a satin or semi-gloss is most common for doors.  

berh exterior paint.jpg

Click on the pictures for more information.

There are also a lot of cool new ways to add a faux finish to smooth steel doors. Faux wood finishes have become very popular. If you are interested in something like that let us know. 

Please let me know how this works out for you or if you have any more questions.-Gregg

Posted 2011-05-05T17:49:50+0000  by gotogregg

I need to paint the wood trim around the exterior metal door as well as the door.  Thanks for the information about the metal door.  It will come in handy this weekend  :smileywink: 

I need similar info about the wood trim.  My home is 9 years old and the wood trim is peeling.  The wood is cracking a little.  Please let me know how to prep the trim and what kind of paint to use.

Thanks Much for your assistance..

Posted 2011-06-07T16:03:32+0000  by clipperc

Hey ClipperC!

It's a Great Day in the Paint Department and apparently your lucky day!!!

Since you have both wood and metal projects, just use Rustoleum's Clean Metal primer for both.

On their specification sheet, Rustoleum says, "For bare metal or wood doors (or trim), prime the surface first with Rust-Oleum Clean Metal Primer."

Prep the trim by removing the flake with a paint scraper, fill the cracks with wood filler, sand smooth, prime and paint as directed by GoToGregg earlier in the thread.

Your Paint Associate can show you paint scrapers, exterior wood filler, and sandpaper. 

How convenient and easy could a repair be?!? 

Posted 2011-06-07T16:57:44+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hi guys,.

I thinks the painting wood trim around the exterior metal door is really a nice experince,.

Thansk for the sharing dude,.[url=http://trueimprint.com/]personalized koozies[/url]

Posted 2011-07-13T18:50:34+0000  by Harley

Have found that a good primer with a rust inhibitor such as Zinsser Primer 1-2-3 along with a premium topcoat like Behr's paint and primer is best. I have worked with Rust Oleum, but seems a bit too thick for me, and is a bit harder and finicky to work with so I stay away from that now.  Just my preference.... Using a good DTM paint or Alkyd paint works great for metal as well. But for DIY'ers Zinsser 1-2-3 with Behr paint and primer is the way to go!

Posted 2012-01-13T06:43:13+0000  by mgonzo

Hello Again MGONZO!

You know, almost every project can be done several ways and your suggestion for water-based Zinsser 1-2-3 is another outstanding option ... especially if you don't want the odor of an oil product.

In their specification sheet, Zinsser says:

The Bulls Eye 1-2-3 1-Gallon Water-Based White Primer/Sealer is a versatile, low-VOC interior/exterior primer that seals porous surfaces and traps most stains. It is specially formulated for use on ferrous and non-ferrous metals, making it ideal for repainting aluminum siding. It also bonds well to wood, plaster, concrete, gloss enamels, hardboard siding, glass and tile. It dries to the touch in 30 minutes and is ready for paint in as little as 1 hour.

• Ideal for repainting rough, chalky surfaces like aluminum siding
  • Applies with a roller, sprayer or brush
  • Water-based formula bonds to glossy surfaces without scuff sanding
  • Resists peeling and blistering
  • Rust-inhibiting formula can prime ferrous metals
  • Mold and mildew resistant once dry
  • Each gallon covers up to 450 sq. ft., depending on surface porosity 

In their specification sheet, Rust-Oleum says:

The Rust-Oleum Stops Rust 32 oz. Clean Metal Flat Rust Preventive Primer is designed for use on lightly rusted metals and works well on bare and previously painted metals. This primer can be used both indoors and outdoors and provides coverage for up to 100 sq. ft. To use, apply directly over the rust to provide great adhesion for finishes. The primer dries in approximately 120 minutes.

• Works on bare and previously painted metals
  • Use on lightly rusted metals
  • Designed for use both indoors and outdoors
  • To use, apply directly over the rust to provide adhesion for finishes
  • Formula helps prevent rust
  • Flat white finish
  • 32 oz. can provides coverage for up to 100 sq. ft.
  • Can be cleaned up easily with mineral spirits

The Rust-Oleum oil primer is a traditional product with a long history of durability over metal.

The Zinsser water primer is a great all-purpose primer that does not emit a strong odor.

Either product can be thinned ... Rust-Oleum oil primer with mineral spirits and Zinsser water primer with water.

Either way, the result will be a durable base over which an excellent top-coat like Behr Ultra can be applied.

Posted 2012-01-17T17:32:06+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

you should use the paint which gives a beautiful look to home door, makes it more strong, stay for a long time. You can use Mix Waterproof Paint also.

Posted 2012-04-26T09:33:21+0000  by payalmittalmay

Gregg, I am a volunteer for an animal rescue.  I am an artist too.  My artists co-op wants to paint a tractor trailer that was donated to the rescue which is used to house hay for horses at the rescue.

What paint should we use for a 50 foot trailer, 10 feet high and 8 feet wide?  How much each of primer and top coat?

We want to paint it RED and make it look like a horse barn.

Do you sell universal tints and base paint that the artists could use for the decorations?

Does Home Depot consider donating any or all materials in a case like this ?  We would credit Home Depot with a plaque on the trailer when completed.

Any suggestions you can lend would be appreciated.  I can email you photos of the trailer and rescue ranch if you like.

We are in Waynesville, NC.  We don't have a Home Depot here but there are two in nearby Asheville. 

(we do have a Lowes)

Thanks, Linda Twomey

Posted 2012-05-26T20:56:36+0000  by 2ME

Hello Linda,

I'm following up for Gregg.

Let's break your project down one step at a time.

PRIMER

On the three exterior faces of your trailer, there are 1,400 square feet of paintable surface.

Each gallon of primer will cover approximately 400 square feet and you'll need one coat ... so you'll need at least four gallons of primer.

I would recommend you consider purchasing five gallons of Rust-Oleum Clean Metal Primer. It is designed to cover most metal surfaces, wood, and will also cover previously painted surfaces ... essentially able to prime anything related to your project.

PAINT DESIGNS

Any water-based or oil-based paints can be used to paint your designs over the primer. I would recommend looking at the available colors from Rust-Oleum oil-based paints and use them for continuity. However, you can use any EXTERIOR paint over the primer including both Glidden and Behr. So, if Rust-Oleum doesn't have the colors you need, simply choose the colors you want and have them mixed at The Paint Pit.

PAINT

You have the same number of square feet to paint and gallons of paint cover approximately the same number as primer ... however, you will need two coats of paint.

So, plan to purchase ten gallons of Rust-Oleum Safety Red oil-based paint.

SEQUENCE

Since your red paint will be gloss, you might want to prime, then paint your designs over the primer, mask the designs, and then paint the remainder red. This is a normal sequence body shops use when adding graphic, and your designs will adhere better and last longer if you paint them directly over the primer.

UNIVERSAL TINTS

The Home Depot does not sell universal tints ... but will add them to any paint we sell to create the color you choose.

DONATIONS

On a case-by-case basis, local stores make decisions to assist their communities. Please check with the store nearest you.

This is certainly an interesting project.

We would love to see the finished "barn."

Posted 2012-05-29T18:21:09+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hello Patln Paint, thank you for all the useful information.  I will check with the local Home Depot for an idea of discount or donation for the project.  I will send a picture when we finish..can I add an attachment to this type of reply?

Linda 2ME

Posted 2012-05-29T21:35:44+0000  by 2ME
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+