Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

exterior metal doors

I need to paint a few metal exterior doors on my house. what type of paint  and or primer would i use?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-05T16:51:46+0000  by empresstoryave empresstoryave

Hello KuhlCrew!

Thanks for the great question!

When the word faux rises into conversation, most people immediately think about a mixture of faux glaze and paint applied over a satin or semi-gloss base-coat.

If the project is inside the home, these products are fine. However, most faux glazes are not intended for exterior use ... as your project demands.

Try This:

1) Choose your color from a real-wood example of stain;

2) Look carefully at two colors: the darker grain color and the lighter body color;

3) Follow the earlier directions in this thread to prime and paint your door the lighter body color from the sample; and

4) Use Gel-Stain and a stiff nylon bristle brush to streak the darker grain color over the lighter.

GelStnMahog.jpg

Gel Stain is an exterior product that is very thick and can be "stretched" to create faux wood grain.

If you choose, apply Spar Urethane ... and exterior clear coat to protect the finish.

NOTE: Oil-based, exterior products would be best for your entire "metal door" project.

Posted 2012-09-27T12:45:04+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hi Gregg,

I am interested in doing the faux wood on a metal front door as you suggested in your post.  What do I need and how do I do that?

Thanks!

Posted 2012-09-23T19:33:48+0000  by kuhlcrew

Thanks Ordjen for picking up TraceyAnn's question!

I've been away for several days ... it's great knowing that you're there to give both helpful answers and accurate product detail.

You're a great asset to The Community!

Posted 2012-09-04T13:48:58+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Tracyann,

It is a good idea to follow the advce given on the can. However, generally latex/acrylic paints can be recoated in the 1 to 2 hour range. Oil paints in the 4 to 5 hour range.

Factors wich slow the drying and recoat time are cool temperatures, high humidity and saturated colors with large amounts of tint in them. If one or more of these factors apply, lengthen the time.

Hope this is helpful

Posted 2012-09-01T19:56:44+0000  by ordjen

How long should I wait in between coats of paint?

Posted 2012-09-01T17:05:55+0000  by Traceyann14

Hello FacilityManager!

Thanks for the great question!

Your specifications include: exterior application, glossy finish, and metal surface.

Glidden Trim and Door.jpg  Glidden Trim and Door will meet all of your requirements.

This oil-based gel paint will not drip, finishes as a durable, high-gloss finish, and is manufactured for use on exterior metal surfaces.

Currently, Trim and Door is available in eight pre-mixed colors: Bright White, Deepest Black, Classic Red, Traditional Brown, National Red, Rich Navy, Antique White, and Linen Canvas.

According to Glidden, one quart typically covers two doors.

Clean up requires mineral spirits.

NOTE: I have used this product on wooden cabinet doors (it is also rated for interior use). The gel paint went on very thick, would not drip even with the can upside down, and the cabinets finished with a very slick, high-gloss sheen that was perfectly smooth to the touch.

Posted 2012-08-28T13:56:24+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

In the Netherlands, doors are often very, very glossy - looking almost as if they are epoxied.  I would like to have that finish on a metal door.  Can you suggest how to do that?

Posted 2012-08-25T12:03:27+0000  by facilitymanager

Absolutely Linda,

When you open a post to read, there is a reply button below the post.

When you click "Reply" the text box for typing your response opens and there is a toolbar at the top of the box.

The tree icon on that toolbar executes the "insert/edit image" function.

Once clicked, a browse box will open and when you click "Browse" you'll be able to search your computer to locate the image. You can also size the image as "Small," "Medium," or "Large."

The image will insert into your reply where the cursor is located.

When done typing your reply, click "Post" and your text and image will post to the thread.

Can't wait to see your "Horse Barn" trailer.

Posted 2012-05-31T13:32:11+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hello Patln Paint, thank you for all the useful information.  I will check with the local Home Depot for an idea of discount or donation for the project.  I will send a picture when we finish..can I add an attachment to this type of reply?

Linda 2ME

Posted 2012-05-29T21:35:44+0000  by 2ME

Hello Linda,

I'm following up for Gregg.

Let's break your project down one step at a time.

PRIMER

On the three exterior faces of your trailer, there are 1,400 square feet of paintable surface.

Each gallon of primer will cover approximately 400 square feet and you'll need one coat ... so you'll need at least four gallons of primer.

I would recommend you consider purchasing five gallons of Rust-Oleum Clean Metal Primer. It is designed to cover most metal surfaces, wood, and will also cover previously painted surfaces ... essentially able to prime anything related to your project.

PAINT DESIGNS

Any water-based or oil-based paints can be used to paint your designs over the primer. I would recommend looking at the available colors from Rust-Oleum oil-based paints and use them for continuity. However, you can use any EXTERIOR paint over the primer including both Glidden and Behr. So, if Rust-Oleum doesn't have the colors you need, simply choose the colors you want and have them mixed at The Paint Pit.

PAINT

You have the same number of square feet to paint and gallons of paint cover approximately the same number as primer ... however, you will need two coats of paint.

So, plan to purchase ten gallons of Rust-Oleum Safety Red oil-based paint.

SEQUENCE

Since your red paint will be gloss, you might want to prime, then paint your designs over the primer, mask the designs, and then paint the remainder red. This is a normal sequence body shops use when adding graphic, and your designs will adhere better and last longer if you paint them directly over the primer.

UNIVERSAL TINTS

The Home Depot does not sell universal tints ... but will add them to any paint we sell to create the color you choose.

DONATIONS

On a case-by-case basis, local stores make decisions to assist their communities. Please check with the store nearest you.

This is certainly an interesting project.

We would love to see the finished "barn."

Posted 2012-05-29T18:21:09+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+