Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

felt dining chair glides

We just installed Pergo laminate in our diningroom.  Our dining chairs had metal, nail on glides.  Which of the felt glides (other than the stick-ons which don't hold) would you suggest for us.  Some are nail on with one central nail just like the metal ones were, and some have a ring which is supposed to grip into the wood.  These legs are at an angle from vertical and the bottom surface is purpendicular to the leg (and at an angle to the floor).

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-10T01:04:09+0000  by glenf glenf

Hey glenf,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the community!

I would say that since the design of your chair's legs are angled, I would opt for the stick-on felt pads WITH added adhesive to ensure they will not come off.

If you use the ring or nail on types, they will work but could very possibly scratch. To eliminate this risk, simply use a package or round or cut-to-fit size felt pads and then add a heavy duty adhesive between the leg and the felt back.

3/4 in. Heavy-Duty Self-Adhesive Felt Pads (20-Pack)2 in. x 4 in. Felt Pads (3-Pack)

The adhesive to use is one of my favorites and I personally own a bottle. It holds exceptionally well and dries clear. Click on the image of it below for more information.

liquid nails clear projects adhesive.JPG

Apply weight to the felt after the glue has been applied. Don't use too much, as this can allow for seepage.

This is the most effective way to ensure the pads you place on there will not damage, scratch, and ruin your Pergo laminate floors.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2014-01-11T19:58:12+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I already tried attaching the 'stick on' type with contact cement which can hold Formica to the counter top and they still slid!  I now have the ring type nail on and I'll keep my eye on them and replace just the felt when they wear down.

Posted 2014-01-11T20:13:46+0000  by glenf

Hey again glenf,

The issue was most likely the glue that you used...hence them slipping off way too early. I've used the glue in this thread above from things like sticking quarter round to metal and repairing a porcelain heirloom that broke in to pieces.

Plus, anytime you glue anything to a surface, you need to make sure the area is clean before continuing. Scuff sanding it helps as well.

Glad the ring nail on types work out for you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2014-01-11T22:36:52+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+